Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Possible new owner

Im looking at an older 56 Hatteras MY with Detroit diesels. 600 hours since last rebuild. My understanding is the starboard side smokes a little even after warming. I am requesting oil samples sent to lab for review during the survey. Should I be worried about the smoke? I have not personally seen the smoke as the boat is in storage. I’ve never owned a diesel boat. I’ve had gassers for many years.

Re: Possible new owner

Kind of depends on what "a little" means.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

And what color the smoke is.

If its white, it may just be a bad injector.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Welcome aboard.

Is there documentation ie what was their definition of a rebuild?

Like Skycheney said, a little white could be a rack adjustment/bad injector.

In any case, a mechanical survey on top of the overall survey may be money well spent. Oil samples only tell part of the story.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Seconding that. You would want a survey of the engines anyway, but now you REALLY want an engine survey. And the genset, too.

Oh, and define "older". Everything's relative here.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Personally, I would not expect a bit of smoke to be a major concern, but needs to be verified.
    - do engine survey - borescope, compression check, test the injectors;
    - white smoke? blue smoke? black smoke? They all mean different things. How much?
    - remove valve covers and take a look.
    - What was the extent of the rebuild? Bearings, rings, valves, cylinders, injectors, turbos, etc.?
    - Do a sea trial at full load and see if it meets the specified rpm and speed. Check the amount and color of the smoke while under load.
    - An oil test is okay but one test has little value unless it is one of a trend over several hours; however, it should indicate significant water in oil, which would be serious.
    These investigations should tell the story, and it must be told because you want to sure there is not a serious expensive problem. 600 hours is nothing. Has there been any work done since the rebuild ... get service history.
    Worked for Cat for 30-plus years and troubleshooted many diesel engines over the years. My first 4 boats had diesels (not Cat), which I much prefer over gas (much simpler), but just bought my fifth and last boat that's gasoline.

Out of curiosity, how many here would allow a potential buyer to perform a borescope / compression test (assuming all cylinders both engines). Seems a bit invasive with possibility to throw some stuff out of whack.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Out of curiosity, how many here would allow a potential buyer to perform a borescope / compression test (assuming all cylinders both engines). Seems a bit invasive with possibility to throw some stuff out of whack.
    My guy, their nickel? I'm OK with that.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I am new to this forum. I’ve been a member of clubsearay.com for many years. I am impressed with the response to my initial question. Most of the questions given in replies I have no answer to as yet. You have all given me a lot to look into. Thankyou so much. If my decision to move forward with the purchase is yes....,I look forward to being a productive member of this forum

I am considering a 1981 Hatteras 56 MY. A lot of steps to be made until an actual purchase. Thanks once again