Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Leaky Oil Hose

Re: Leaky Oil Hose

You can make up the hoses yourself with reusable end fittings. Some need a mandrel, but others don’t. I replaced all my engine fuel hoses for a lot less the the local mechanics charge ($1500) . You can get the exact length you want much easier. Either way clean the hoses well , especially hydraulic hoses. Most hose shops don’t pay much attention to this.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

RAC, you stole my line!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    You can make up the hoses yourself with reusable end fittings. Some need a mandrel, but others don’t. I replaced all my engine fuel hoses for a lot less the the local mechanics charge ($1500) . You can get the exact length you want much easier. Either way clean the hoses well , especially hydraulic hoses. Most hose shops don’t pay much attention to this.
    Most do, yes. CAT hose shops are almost surgical. Others, not so. The CAT place gave me some tampons to shoot through hoses, though not at quite the pressure they use. Important to ask for caps on new hoses to prevent contamination of both the hose and the trunk of your car. The shop I use is good, but I refused a hose with greasy finger prints on my nice new blue fuel hose. All of that is for naught if you don't spend the time and meticulously clean the old hose environs and immediately cap the open fittings. Pretty is is pretty does.

Generally, I'll get new fittings. This is important on critical fit hoses; I always ask for my originals back. That way I know, before I leave the shop, the new hose is the exact length I need.

Then clean up the blood.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

My project for 2022 is doing my oil and all my fuel lines and also add an oil change pump for both motors.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Oil or blood?
    Probably 50/50 lol ;-)
    -------------------------
    Richard
    1985 Motor Yacht 48
    DD 6V92 TA
    Montreal, Canada

Hampton Roads Rubber just got done making 4 hoses for my Perkins. About 3 ft each. $150 in 1 day.
    Amazing how difficult it is to bend them to shape reinstalling. Worth the peace of mind.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"