Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leaky Oil Hose

Leaky Oil Hose

I discovered a fairly rapid oil leak from one of the oil hoses going between the oil filter housing and the block of about a drop per second or more while running on the starboard 671N. It appears to be coming from the fitting rather than the threads. I have two questions. Where would I get a hose like this made up and how much oil will drain from that location when I remove the hose?

Oil Leak.jpg
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Re: Leaky Oil Hose

I would expect that if you removed the oil filter and let the line drain out into a pan it wouldn't be too bad. I'd guess a pint or so at the most, depending on the length of the hose. If the engines been off a while there shouldn't be much other than what's in the hose itself.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Any place that makes hydraulic lines should be able to fabricate one for you.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

4. Re: Leaky Oil Hose

It looks like you will have to unfasten the filter adaptor to get the lower hose off. Change out both hoses. Once the filter is off, there should be only a pint as Bob stated. Any hydraulic shop can make those hoses while you wait.
    Last edited by kelpy; 01-09-2021 at 02:30 PM.

In our area there is a company named Colliflower who sell Parker-Hannefin fittings and make up hoses. If you bring them the old ones, they can run them up for you in a day or two. There should be a similar company in your area. If you can't find one, and you know anyone who operates heavy equipment, ask them who they use for hydraulic hoses. They'll probably have a go-to shop for these.

Thanks Jim. That is my area, really. I'm splitting time between Chevy Chase and Colonial Beach. I'll look them up.

I appreciate all the comments. I'll give it a try.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

It must be the day for it. I'm chasing down some leaks in anticipation of putting my 43 up for sale. I pulled off all the tranni lines and turbo oil supply lines on my stbd 6v92ta this afternoon. I was waiting for my lunch order earlier when I posted.

I don't understand why they put swiveling fittings on only one end of the lines to the tranni oil cooler. The cooler end has 3/4 male pipe thread, which means I had to rotate the entire 5 ft lines, spilling oil all around the er to get them off. I'm fixing that when the new ones go back on.

I just did mine last week on my 6V92ta. All 16 hydraulic hoses with Parker 221FR. Not cheap and a good 12 hours of work. About a 1000$ for all hoses and I reused the fittings. Some hoses are hard to get to on my boat. 2 were already leaking at the fittings and 2 were on the edge of bursting under the metal clamp Detroit used to hold them down. Yeah the tranny ones are a PITA for sure. It was a 2 person job just to get them out. Lost about 2 pints for the whole job.
    Attached Images
    -------------------------
    Richard
    1985 Motor Yacht 48
    DD 6V92 TA
    Montreal, Canada

Next year, I'll do all the fuel hoses...
    Attached Images
    -------------------------
    Richard
    1985 Motor Yacht 48
    DD 6V92 TA
    Montreal, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Lost about 2 pints for the whole job.
    Oil or blood?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson