Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mystery tank

Mystery tank

20210204_115912.jpgI have a 1971 43DC. According to the Hatteras web site, a holding tank was an option. I have just bought the boat, and 2 owners ago, the forward toilet was removed for unknown reasons. This tank is forward (the photo faces aft and is in the vee birth area. There is a hanging closet directly right. Straight back is the galley). If this is a holding tank, why is there no pump out, only the PVC tube that ends in the chain locker. Also, the "fill" neck has been plugged. If this is a water tank, I can find no connection to the water system. I think the previous owner pulled the toilet out because he didn't want to deal with making a pump out fitting on the deck. I think this is a holding tank that has been disconnected.

Re: Mystery tank

Our 1975 43DC had the holding tank centerline in the engine room, but I have heard that there were a couple of centerline tanks and others have found unused tanks that they converted to waste. I think you may be right that the PO was attempting to convert this unused tank and just never finished it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Where does the white 1” hose, with clamps, go? Looks like a vent

The larger elbow appears to be capped, correct?

What about the hose that curves around near the bottom of the tank, bottom right of picture? Does it connect to the bottom of the tank? Could that be the pump out ?

You re going to trace all the hoses, looked for capped fittings etc.

And either remove the elbow and put a stick in to see what may be in there. Or remove the cap on the elbow and push something a little thin and flexible.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

In my 1973 43DC, there is an abandoned tank there that appears to have previously been a second holding tank. Forward head is now plumbed to the rear hiding tank between the engines.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I've also read (on here) that at the time your boat was built there were some boats that started coming with holding tanks that were not plumbed or shown on the plans as it was a time of transition to holding tanks.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

As a 1972 43DC who has been dealing with plumbing, here is my understanding:

The early boats like mine had 3 holding tanks built in, the rear tank is between the engines, the front tank is under the galley, and the middle tank lies between them.

That middle tank was the biggest, around 130 gallons and used for the freshwater. The front and rear tanks were likely not plumbed originally, but they had plates on them.

On our boat, this was the setup, and the heads originally used sea water and discharged directly overboard. There were two seacocks aft of the starboard engine for the rear head and the intake for the foward head was under the hatch in the forward head floor. Output was under that hatch in the floor.

Ours had both heads plumbed forward to a treatment tank that head a deck discharge and a through hull discharge.

I redid that plumbing and both of our heads are routed to the holding tank you are referencing.

Our rear tank is still unused.

Later 43s with the centerline master used the rear tank for addtional fuel. While ours is an early model with the twin master, I would at some point like to plumb the rear holding tank as a fuel tank, to use for the generator.

So, in that instance ours would go back to front -> Fuel-Water-Waste.
    Attached Images
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

The white PVC pipe runs forward and up into the chain locker where it terminates like a vent (it is not connected to a deck plate; it terminates as an open PVC pipe below deck level). The black pipes running obliquely thru the photo are insulated hot water heater pipes. It is felt that the heater and expansion tank in the closet to the right is one of the reasons the forward toilet was removed, to make room for the heater plumbing. The elbow is capped, but points towards the forward head.

I have a 71 43DC and have the same 3 tanks. The forward one you show is plumbed as my holding tank. There was a 1 1/2 inch through hull just forward of the bilge pump.Rear Centerline tank has not ever been plumbed
    Mine had the 2 black insulated copper lines that ran to the air handler in the anchor locker.
    Yours may have been disconnected because of a rotten dip tube .
    Capt. Rob

Good point, Rob71. Could the tank have leaked or had a bad pump out tube? I think I will take off the capped elbow and look inside and possibly pour in some water.