Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Trying to find info on deck plate access in midships passageway

Good afternoon all. While trying to pull new hose from aft head to holding tank, I found myself stymied by hitting a joist aft of the midships head. I have a removeable deck plate at that point, and of course I can pull a fish tape thru but can't get the hose to line up. It appears there should have been an additional deck plate aft of the midships head, since I can't even shine a light thru from either end and see it at the other side. It's a 1986 54'MY, and the PO put down waterproof vinyl flooring in the passageway because of their dog. I'm leaning towards pulling up the vinyl flooring but don't know what I will find underneath. Does anyone know if there's a deck plate or should be a deck plate between the midships head and the aft stateroom?

Failing that, any suggestions on running a new hose? I would have attached the new hose to the old one but there was a logistics glitch and the hose I anticipated running (free box of 1.5"OD) would not fit thru frame opening at last deck plate.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Re: Trying to find info on deck plate access in midships passageway

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    Good afternoon all. While trying to pull new hose from aft head to holding tank, I found myself stymied by hitting a joist aft of the midships head. I have a removeable deck plate at that point, and of course I can pull a fish tape thru but can't get the hose to line up. It appears there should have been an additional deck plate aft of the midships head, since I can't even shine a light thru from either end and see it at the other side. It's a 1986 54'MY, and the PO put down waterproof vinyl flooring in the passageway because of their dog. I'm leaning towards pulling up the vinyl flooring but don't know what I will find underneath. Does anyone know if there's a deck plate or should be a deck plate between the midships head and the aft stateroom?

Failing that, any suggestions on running a new hose? I would have attached the new hose to the old one but there was a logistics glitch and the hose I anticipated running (free box of 1.5"OD) would not fit thru frame opening at last deck plate.
    I normally attach this video as a funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3nMZIW2dJc

But in this case, it might be what you're looking for. On Aslan, the port holding tank dip tube was exactly under a wall. There was no way. I was gaining meaningful access. The new tank plate and relocation saved the day for me.

Whether or not there is a deck plate under the vinyl, a set of boat plans should help (Sam's). Absent that, a DEPSTECH camera is a handy thing to have and should easily give you all the views you need to proceed.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I would pull up the vinyl and if there is no hatch , I would make a new one at the place it would be most useful.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Cut a hatch anywhere you need it. Its easy to screw a few pieces under the edges to retain it after you finish.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post

The hose from the pump from my aft head on my 87 54MY runs aft to the transom, then across to the Stbd side and then forward in the space where the exhaust is, and then continues on to the engine room where it has a vented loop on the stbd wall, and then back down to the holding tank/outboard thru-hull manifold. While this particular hose is newer, the old one is still in place, albeit sealed off, and it appears that this was the original run. (There is a small hatch in that aft hallway closet between the aft and amidships head but you've probably seen that).

Quote Originally Posted by manderley View Post
    The hose from the pump from my aft head on my 87 54MY runs aft to the transom, then across to the Stbd side and then forward in the space where the exhaust is, and then continues on to the engine room where it has a vented loop on the stbd wall, and then back down to the holding tank/outboard thru-hull manifold. While this particular hose is newer, the old one is still in place, albeit sealed off, and it appears that this was the original run. (There is a small hatch in that aft hallway closet between the aft and amidships head but you've probably seen that).
    Thank you to all. My aft head is still on the GalleyMaid salt water flush, and it turns out that at the aft end of the existing deck plate in the passageway, where the hole is cut thru the crossmember, angle is everything. Angled fish tape as far towards port as I could and SUCCESS! 10 minutes later I was tightening hose clamps and an hour after that was done with cleaning up. For reference, the macerator pump is located in between the 2 passageway lockers between the midships head and aft stateroom. That is also where I access the sump for the 2 heads, where the drains for the showers and sinks come in to a bilge pump for overboard discharge. Midship head has already been replaced with a freshwater Dometic 8100. Aft head is next, then forward head in future. Next project is to replace that Rule bilge pump in that sump, as it is starting to chatter and I am afraid it will not last much longer. That will be a tough task for now, but in future once aft head is replaced, there will be better access as Galleymaid pump will be gone.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL