Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

44 tc deck rub rail

44 tc with a painted deck rub rail, at least I think that is what you call it. On the deck the the railing stanchions are screwed into what I would call the fiberglass toe rail on the outside of that toe rail were the deck meets the hull is what appears to be a 2 inch aluminum strip as part of a rub rail. That strip is painted and has corrosion under the paint.

My question is what is the original status of that strip, was it polished aluminum or maybe it is stainless steel? I don't believe it was painted to match the bow stripe originally.

Re: 44 tc deck rub rail

I’ve only seen stainless steel on the rub rail. Not sure why someone would paint it. That rail does get some abuse and paint can’t hold up to rubbing up against a wooden or metal pole when docking.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

stainless, striping and polishing in my future. thanks

New member here, first post.

I have the same question; what material is the rub rail? There is an outer strip of polished stainless that contacts (heaven forbid) any pilings, but it is through bolted to a triangular shaped piece of metal, either aluminum or galvanized steel. This triangular piece covers the deck/hull seam, that is painted. I will be repainting and need to know how to treat it. The current paint is flaking off probably due to improper treatment prior to paining.

Thanks,
    Jeff

The SS rubrail is meant for doing just that, rubbing. Its supposed to contact pilings and you won't hurt it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    The SS rubrail is meant for doing just that, rubbing. Its supposed to contact pilings and you won't hurt it.
    I know that and pilings can be my friend when docking, I was just a little snarky!

Jeff
    Livin' the Dream
    1972 38DC
    Trinity, FL
    "You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough"

Quote Originally Posted by jlapratt View Post
    I know that and pilings can be my friend when docking, I was just a little snarky!

Jeff
    I can't believe some other brands of boats with a plastic backing behind the rub rail. You look down the side of the boat and you can see dents in the rail from everything they've come in contact with. Then they try to fend off so they don't make any more dents. I just wasn't sure if maybe you used to have one of those and weren't used to a real Hatteras rub rail.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI