Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: The History of your boat. (Stole it from another site)

Mine was purchased new by a gentleman from Long Beach, ca and he had her for 25 years. He ran her to Puerto Vallarta every year for the winter. The second owner (also in Long Beach) only had her for 10 months, and now she's mine.
    The original, elderly owner obviously maintained her lovingly and with an open checkbook policy. There aren't even any dings in the panelling. Amazing for a 27 year old boat. The second owner wasn't mechanically inclined, but fortunately didn't have her very long. It still took me 5 months to catch up.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Iam the 4th owner of my 46C HP. I maintained it since it was new! Except for a 3 year gap when it left the area with the 3 rd owner. I remember thinking what a awesome boat it was and could not imagine what it would be like to own it. I have a lot of history with the boat. It was the first legal delivery I did after getting my license in 87. My wife and I had our first date on it in 92 as well as hundreds of other memories. I first set foot on the boat in early 84 and 18 years later I owned it.
    I guess it was meant to be. There were a number of things that fell into place that allowed me to get the boat. One of the strangest things was one trip up to Deltaville VA to work on the boat, I tried to open a drawer and it was jammed. I reached in and pulled out a crumpled chart. I opened it up and it was a chart of Johns Pass and Madeira Beach FL where I live and was taking the boat to. I brought the boat home on 1 engine and have gotten it back into yacht condition. As a final note the orig. owner gave me a folder with all the orig paperwork and about 100 invoices from me, when I maintained it for him.

Our 67 34c has an easy history, we have the original owners manuel with some records from the original owner, mostly maint records. Appears he use to go to Key West alot from Ft Lauderdale. Mr Buse purchased new, delivered in NC and taken to Ft lauderdale where it remained at his house until he sold it in 2000or 2001. Forgot what he named it but it is in the book. Buse used it alot, changed out the 427's in December 1988 to Crusader 454's and new Onan. does not appear he used it much after the repower until he sold it in 2000or 2001.

Wayne Payton bought it and changed name to Payton Place. He also lived in Ft lauderdale and kept it there for about 10mo, spent himself into a divorce and had to sell. does not appear he went anywhere with it as his time was spent fixing it up.( alot of this we had to redo including repainting part of it.) We have a stack of receipts from him that add up to about 45k.

Steve Fournier bought it and renamed Fish Nauts and kept it at his house in Ft Lauderdale. He took her to the bahamas alot. He did not do much to improve the boat, just used it. He also only had it for about 10months, relocated to Michigan and had to sell.

We bought it and changed name to Catherin Mae (grandmothers first name and my mothers middle name) and moved it to Stuart and now Merritt island. We have had it for 3yrs this Sept. We have taken it across Florida to the west coast, down intercoastal to Ft Lauderdale again, up to Merritt island and Daytona, and of course off shore fishing. We are using it some and working on it alot.

I am the third owner of my 1966 34C. She was purchased on July 23, 1966 by or for WW Welch Co. here in Ft. Lauderdale. Her original name was LuRay. A friend of mine used to take care of the boat for the original owner as he advanced in age. When the owner was too old to enjoy the boat, he sold it to my friend for $5000.00. He changed the name to Tallyho and in 1990, took out the old Chrysler 440s and replaced them with Crusader 454s as well as a new 6.5 KW Westerbeke. He also had the original aft bulkhead and doors taken out since they rotted over the years and replaced it with a canvas backdrop. In 1993, he told me he was relocating and the boat was for sale. I immediately bought her as I was looking at a $20,000 repower project for my 30 Chris Craft Sportfisherman. I renamed her ELECTRA VI and began a three year restoration as she was cosmetically challenged inside and out when I bought her. In 2003, I converted her from gas to diesel, including a new 6.5 KW Phasor genny. I have the original owner's manual and even the original bill of sale. In 1966, with the A/C option, genny etc., she sold for $28,000 and change. What is interesting to note is that she has had the same homeport (Lighthouse Point, FL) since she was purchased new 40 years ago.

Although I don't have as much knowledge of my boat's history as some of you do since I don't know her history all the way back to the first owner, but a little history and a sweet story....I had the pleasure of meeting the previous owner tonight and learned a little more about where they had been with the boat and how much they enjoyed her. I never got to meet her during the purchase process since I was out of state and her broker was handling the sale for her.

Her husband, the Commodore of local yacht club, had died not too terribly long after they moved aboard the boat when he sustained a fatal fall on or around the boat at Christmastime while no one was around. I'm told by those who knew him and the boat that this boat was his pride and joy, and his wife loved him dearly - enough to sell the house and move onto the boat because that was a dream of his. He was very passionate about the boat and it seems quite fitting that this boat has now fallen into the hands of someone who is just as passionate about her. His widow told me that they had enjoyed the boat very much and had cruised her to/from the Bahamas, too.

What brought the previous owner to me was an answer to her prayer. On one of my first few days onboard the boat while going through the "my boat hates me" days, the boat gave up one her hidden treasures - a man's wedding band from the bilge. It was so dirty that I couldn't even scrape the black crud off - looked like tarnished silver. My mother took the ring, sprayed something on it and brought it back to its glory - it was a yellow gold band. I immediately thought of the Commodore and wondered if this was his ring....surely his spirit had to be about the boat since he loved the boat so and he had died here. I knew his wife would surely want to have it if it was his and if that was the case, I very much wanted to see that she got it back. Meanwhile, other critical boat stuff kept popping up that stole my undivided attention and the shiney ring laid buried in my medicine cabinet where I had forgotten about it.

I finally remembered to email the broker asking him to contact her or have her call me about a ring I had found. She called me today and told me that after her husband's passing, she had been wearing his ring, and yes, she did lose it somewhere. She came to my boat this evening and saw the ring....yes, it was his. She said she had prayed to St. Anthony for the return of the ring to her and I can't tell you how filled with joy she was to have the ring back. She told me that it was a miracle that the ring was back with her now, and ironically, I've always said that it was a miracle that this boat came to be mine. She said she had been wanting to meet me and commented that the sale of the boat was just way too easy and pleasant (the way it should be, but often is not...), and quick! We agreed that it was just meant to be. Indeed, this must be the right boat for me (even though I think I need a bigger one - just kidding). She sees the boat every day during her commute to/from the island, and I'm sure I'll see her again. It felt good be able to give a small token of her husband back to her. I'm sure it is a giant token in her eyes.

Back to the history...the first history I could find dates back to her sale in September 1992 to Crews Inn, Inc. in Michigan City, IL. I'm not sure what her role was at that time - whether she was a charteryacht or just an unrelated asset of someone's business. Also, she was renamed to Crews Inn by this owner. I don't know what her prior name was.

In May 1999, she was sold to Wild Island Tours (Jeff Barksdale). Mr. Barksdale named her Island Time and used her as a captain-owned charteryacht, cruising the Amelia Island and Bahamas areas. At that time, she was an inspected vessel which explains the increased height of the railing around the boat and the unusual fire suppressant system, as well as a few other safety features not usually seen.

Desiring a much more economical vessel for his charter business than the fuel guzzling motoryacht, Mr. Barksdale sold Island Time to the Commodore in 2002 - I believe it was the Fall of 2002. The Commodore owned her until his passing in December 2004. His wife eventually sold her to me earlier this year. I'm not sure whether I found this boat or whether the boat found me....

She is my Sanctuary (her new name).

If anyone knows any history on this boat prior to her sale to Crews Inn, Inc. in 1992, I'd like to hear what you know.

Ang
    Last edited by Angela; 06-12-2006 at 10:53 PM.

Ang, You can order an abstract of title which will list all the previous owners. Your broker should be able to provide it for you. Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Angela

If anyone knows any history on this boat prior to her sale to Crews Inn, Inc. in 1992, I'd like to hear what you know.

Ang
    If your boat is documented under the name Sanctuary Holding out of Delaware, it has two names previously recorded with the NVDC. One is Island Time, which you already knew, and it was also SEA PAT III at some point. You can view this info by going to
    http://www.st.nmfs.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByName.html
    and enter the name of your boat. This page will give you owner info and vessel info on any federally documented boats.

Jason

8. Re: The History of your boat. (Stole it from another site)

For $25 you can also order an abstrat of the title which will give you all "events" related to the documentation since it was first documented, including loan payoffs, grantee names for ownership transfers, etc.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker