Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The History of your boat. (Stole it from another site)

I thought this would be interesting to talk about because everytime I walk into my boat I see a picture of the original owner hanging on the wall taking a ride on the boat from the cockpit in a chair while someone else pilots. I always think about who has owned this boat, where its been and what kinda weather its been in ect.. I think I'm going to do a search and see who's owned her and where they're from when I get a chance after the weekend. I think the coast guard has a site somewhere if the boat was continually documented as I have it. Always wondered if the previous owners are still "kickin".

Anyhow...do you guys know the history of your Hat and where its been?

Please forgive me if this has already been done!

Re: The History of your boat. (Stole it from another site)

We are the third owner of our 1980 53MY. I know the history of Brigadoon as long as she has been Brigadoon - so-named by the 2nd owner in 1990 but before that all I know is the first owner named her "Kups 'n Labels." I'm confident she's far happier as "Brigadoon."

When we purchased her from the 2nd owner - Charlie- she was documented in Herring Is, MD but berthed on the Delaware river about 30 miles north of Phila. In addition to local cruises, Charlie took her to FL and up to Montreal. Charlie was an ex-US Navy WWII Destroyer guy. He was a CG aux member and the boat was used frequently in some official way - there were lots of CG tax-free fuel receipts on board. He had a large family that went on many cruises. The boat had nearly 40 life preservers - all sizes from toddlers to adult

Charlie sold her to us because he decided he was getting too old to enjoy the boat. He was 83 at the time (Nov '04) but seemed as spry as the rest of us in getting around the boat. I talked to him several times over a couple of months after we bought the boat. He enjoyed the conversation about the boat. It was hard for him to sell her and I think he was pleased that she ended up in a good home. He told me that over the last 5 years thah he owned her he had done less of the maintanance work, turning it over to his son, a DD mechanic (with a penchant for silicone). You could see the difference in the work - the older work (electrical, mechanical, whatever) looked like oem Hatt. The newer stuff...didn't. That "newer" stuff is mostly gone (ripped out) now; the stuff Charlie did is as sound as they day it was done and, as I said, looks like Hatt did it originally.

I work really hard to follow his lead and will probably have as hard a time as he did when it comes time to sell the boat.

If you currently have the boat documented with the CG, there will be a paper trail back to when it was first documented. The requirements for documentation must include a notorized bill of sale from the first transaction to the the present documentation. A gap will make documentation not an option. A question anyone purchasing a boat should include as a contingency in a purchase contract for a boat, should the Lender require such etc. The CG site has a link where you can enter a boat name and it will give you all the owner's of boats with the same name. Will Power is my boat name, and should you find this link you will see all my boats that I have been documented with that name as well as others.

A gap in the "chain of ownership" used to prevent future documentation with the CG. No so anymore. It is no longer necessary to maintain the chain. Thank GOD. As a broker (in the old days) it used to be a huge PIA to track down "in between" owners and get them to sign Bills Of Sale.

My boat's history is somewhat easy to track because the Matthews owner's club has all of the company's records. My 1970 46' Matthews hull# 70-109 was the 9th hull built by Halmatic (to Lloyds specs) for the Matthews Company. She was the Miami Boat Show boat in 1970 and was delivered to her first owner in Ft Lauderdale after the show. She was sold by Chuck Irwin of Richard Bertram and Co. to Mr. E.E.D. Schaeffer. Price with options $114,000. The next owner in 1971 was Mr. Edgar Lucas of Baltimore. Mr. Lucas kept her at the Baltimore Yacht Club and called her "Shelby" which is when I first saw her (at age 15) Little did I know then that I would own her myself 35 years later. Next owner was in Virginia, late 1980's I can't recall his name, called the boat "Sly Fox" Next owner was Kevin Young of Norfolk, called her "September Morn" Next owner Dr. John Wittig, also of Virginia kept the same name. October 2003 I purchased her from Dr. Wittig and renamed her "Miss Natalie".
    Last edited by SeaEric; 06-02-2006 at 09:28 PM.

no picture of the first owner, but i have some interesting things in the file.. boat was purchased and kept in miami with trips to the bahamas. I even have the original 1970 installation invoice for the Vosper Mini Fins at a big yard on the river. boat was originally named Relentless.. I have some gaps in the history... inthe mid/ late 90s it was named Georgie Girl, then Smoke n Mirrors by the guy i bought it from. I wish i could close some of the gaps...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Prior names of my boat are on the boat in teeny (1 inch tall) letters on the transom above the exhaust outlet! Used to be a superstition that it was bad luck to rename a boat, and old salts believed that if you kept the old name on the boat somewhere, that it would be OK. Mine had 2 priors, and I just added the previous owner's name above those two when I renamed her.

Nauti-Nymph
    Kara Tara
    Case Closed
    Nonchalance

The USCG had those from documentatiion also.

Doug Shuman

I am the fourth owner of Blue Note, as far as I was able to determine. When I got her, the original Hatteras salon sofa was missing, and in a (vain) attempt to track it down I got in touch with the first owner, who owned a group of gas stations in Annandale, VA. The first name of the boat was "Miss Sunday"; she was purchased new from Taylor's Landing Yacht Sales in Edgewater, MD. According to him, he had plenty of trouble with her, and was not at all happy- after a year or two, he sold her on to a fellow in Baltimore, whose name I can't remember. They seem to have had her the longest, selling her on to the folks I bought her from. Whatever her second name was, the third owners named her "Glory B", which was the wife's name, more or less. Either the second or third owner threw out (literally- put out on the curb for pickup) the sofa that had been installed in the boat when she was built, and instead put in a futon that was way too large for the space it was in. It took me years to think of a name for her and once I did, I had it painted on the transom and clear-coated. My heirs and assigns will get to worry about the next name, I suppose.

And as far as the missing sofa....years later, having given up on ever finding the one that came in the boat, I was walking around a boating flea market in Annapolis and after an hour or two, got tired and sat down. When I looked down, I realized I was looking at a paper tag that read "Hatteras Sofa- $50". It was not exactly the one from Blue Note, but it was very very close, and I bought it, took it home, rebuilt it and had it reupholstered, then installing it in Blue Note, where it resides today. How about that...

We are the third owners of "Unity". Our '86 36C started life on a truck from the factory to Toledo Beach Marina in Ohio. The first owner had it for only about nine months. We bought it from the second owner in Feb. of 2004. The last owner called it "Blue Fin II". We really love the boat and I have brought it to like new standards. It could use some new upholstery, otherwise it is pristene and has never been in salt water. That is about to change as my son who is my partner in the boat moved to Miami and I will move Unity down there this fall.

Like Maynard, my boat was purchased new at Toledo Beach as well. We are the fifth owners and I only know the fourth owner that we bought her from. Fortunately, when we called the man that we know at Toledo Beach, he remembered selling her and knew all of the previous owners. I have not investigated the history any further, but he assured us that the boat was always well cared for. I do know that she spent most of her life in a covered boat house in Detroit and the original Imrom shows it. It's still in like-new condition which is unusual for a 1985. I may try to put together a better owner history someday, but for now I am content to just enjoy her. I really looked hard to find a Hatt that was all original and I was glad that the previous owners didn't try to get too creative.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

10. Re: The History of your boat. (Stole it from another site)

Our boat was purchased from Allied marine in Ft. Lauderdale when it was a year old in 1983. It went up to Montauk New York for a month and was named Freeway. After a month it was sold to a man from Hatteras North Carolina and the name remained the same. He had this boat untill he died somewhere around 2000. He used the boat and took it to Chub Cay often. I have a lot of papers that show he was there at least 8 times and also found some Post cards that were filled out and not sent in toe the IGFA for some tags on Marlin. When he died he donated the boat to a Christian organization in West Palm beach and they sold the boat to the owner we purchased it from. That owner had the boat 2 1/2 years, of which it sat for a year and a half because he lost all his money. We purchased the boat a year ago and changed the name from Valkeries. He kept it in Carrabelle Fl. WE moved it from there to Palmetto, where we keep it now.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website