Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Closed the year by closing on a 45C

Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Top end (it actually crept up to 28.4 after I took the pic):

20210105_123918.jpg
    20210105_123915.jpg

Very pretty boat. As we say in these parts, you done good.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Yep. Bob, looks like you’ve got a good eye.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Really nice. Best of luck with her.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I believe I saw in the Hatteras Facebook group that this 45C has started her trip home. Hope they have a good and fun trip!

Looking forward to following along.

JCG

Yes, I got a call from Bird yesterday asking about marinas in Solomons. They are probably past Annapolis by now.

Any second now, they'll fire up the second engine and really make some time.

We're baaaaaack.

Great trip home. Randy is a great delivery captain. Can't say enough good about him. Even keeled guy - I think you'd really have to be a jerk to get him worked up.

I rented a Tahoe and drove down Monday from CT to New Bern. That's a story in itself. I picked up the Tahoe in New Haven CT on Sun. They had hung an air freshener from the rear view mirror that smelled like an Turkish whorehouse. Or at least like what I'd expect a Turkish whorehouse to smell like. I'm not usually a a litterer, but I left it in their parking lot. About an hour later I figured out why it was there, as the pungent (albeit pleasant) aroma of weed overwhelmed the cabin. Disregarding that, and hoping we weren't pulled over by the NC Highway patrol, we drove 10 hours to New Bern.

The boat had been stored at Bridgeton Boat Works. Yard manager Mike Webber had launched her earlier that day after completing a length punch list that I had given him. I was very happy with the service they provided.

Randy showed up promptly Tues afternoon, and after going out for a bite, we discussed the trip and turned in for the evening. I was awakened Wed morning by the engines firing up. I got up, made us some breakfast, and we settled in for a pleasant ride to Coinjock. We hit Coinjock around 230 and made the decision to continue on to Norfolk. A sunken abandoned crab pot and shallow stretch of the ditch had other ideas. We limped back to Coinjock on the stbd engine and awaited the arrival of a diver.

That problem behind us thanks to a retired Navy seal, we headed north Thursday morning. We passed thru the lock and ran north toward Norfolk. At bridge 7, we waited about a half hour for maintenance people to clear the drawbridge and were then told that we had to wait for a train to pass. That was fine until the train got half way across the bridge and stopped for an hour or so.

Once we cleared that, we ran to Norfolk and idled past the various shipyards. At that point we had a decision to make. We would have preferred to run outside up the DELMARVA, but the wx called for heavy winds on Friday, so we headed up the Chesapeake and spend the night at Solomon Island.

Friday, we continued north to the CD canal and down the Delaware to Cape May. Conditions were a bit sporty, but the boat handled it well and other than my treasured Westerly Yacht Club cap, which blew off my head somewhere in the Delaware, we proceeded unscathed. Saturday we got under way at 0630 needing fuel, as there were no marinas open. We stopped at Atlantic City and after some complications managed to fuel up. From there it was a very pleasant ride to NYC and then a run up the East River and Long Island Sound back to New Haven. FAC conditions on the Sound. We stopped outside the CG dock to lay down the antennae and riggers to get under West River bridge. At this point, I relieved Randy of command (I sensed a bit of disappointment in his face), as I had to learn how to dock a boat with single lever controls sooner or later, and brought her into City Point Yacht Club. I stopped in front of my slip and rotated into position to back in. Unfortunately, it was 530pm - Dead F-n Low Full Moon tide. I backed in and stopped dead 6' from the main dock. Randy ran 600 miles, and I got myself stuck 6' from home. Oh well. That's boating. Fabulous trip overall. I'll try to post some pics once I download them.

Glad you got in and had a (relatively) uneventful trip. Please post photos. Very keen to see them.