Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Closed the year by closing on a 45C

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. Well, I finally got a boat ride yesterday. (Well, its after midnight, so the day before yesterday) I did a marathon trip to New Bern. Left my house at 4am and drove to Bradley for a 6:06 departure. Changed planes in Charlotte and was on the ground in New Bern by 10:30. I met the seller, Jake, at Bridgeton Boat Works and we drove to his house - about 15 minutes away. Jake and I spent an hour or so going over the systems and operations on the boat and then I fired her up and we ran about 8 miles up river to Bridgeton, where she was hauled for the winter. I drove Jake back home and headed for the airport, catching the 3:30 flight back to Charlotte and finally on home to Hartford, where we landed at 10:30. I guess you could call it a New Bern Turn and Burn trip.

The boat ran flawlessly. 2100rpm on the Cummins QSM11s pushed her along quite nicely at 25kts, burning 38.4gph. I pushed her up once to 2330, the top end, where she hit 28.5 kts. She handled like a dream, although I will have to get used to to using the single lever controls. 45 years experience with dual controls doesn't just go away overnight. All in all, a very satisfying trip.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

If you show up, Bird, I'll feed you. Promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. Well, I finally got a boat ride yesterday. (Well, its after midnight, so the day before yesterday) I did a marathon trip to New Bern. Left my house at 4am and drove to Bradley for a 6:06 departure. Changed planes in Charlotte and was on the ground in New Bern by 10:30. I met the seller, Jake, at Bridgeton Boat Works and we drove to his house - about 15 minutes away. Jake and I spent an hour or so going over the systems and operations on the boat and then I fired her up and we ran about 8 miles up river to Bridgeton, where she was hauled for the winter. I drove Jake back home and headed for the airport, catching the 3:30 flight back to Charlotte and finally on home to Hartford, where we landed at 10:30. I guess you could call it a New Bern Turn and Burn trip.

The boat ran flawlessly. 2100rpm on the Cummins QSM11s pushed her along quite nicely at 25kts, burning 38.4gph. I pushed her up once to 2330, the top end, where she hit 28.5 kts. She handled like a dream, although I will have to get used to to using the single lever controls. 45 years experience with dual controls doesn't just go away overnight. All in all, a very satisfying trip.
    My 41 has single lever controls, and I love them. Electronic versions are the ones that really take getting used to. Those are some good numbers for sure.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Thumbs up Re: Closed the year by closing on a 45C

Whoa, those are great speed and gph numbers. I've always thought my 45C would feel great cruising at 23-25 knots. Can only dream.. jaja...

Can't imagine the sad feeling of having to store the boat until the spring.

Regards,
    JCG

I run 20 knots burning about 45 gph. I’m a little jelly! 🤨

Enjoy the new ride.👍
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Interestingly, up on the bridge it didn't feel all that fast - not much different than what I'm used to. Jake texted me a video that he took down in the cockpit and I was truly amazed. If anyone can help me do so, I'll post it here. I just don't know how to.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Interestingly, up on the bridge it didn't feel all that fast - not much different than what I'm used to. Jake texted me a video that he took down in the cockpit and I was truly amazed. If anyone can help me do so, I'll post it here. I just don't know how to.
    YouTube is your best bet. If you want, text it to me and I’ll post it for you or send you a link you can post.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Once you get used to the single lever controls you will not want to run a boat without them, especially in reverse on a fish and backing into a slip.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Thanks for putting that up, Randy. It's pretty short. And don't buy any of the bs about some "nice guy" from Ct. I don't want to ruin my reputation.
    https://youtu.be/KsHo44v60lE

I'm sure I'll get used to them eventually. What threw me first time out with them is the 1 second or so delay when you shift into reverse. I wasn't sure I had shifted far enough and revved it a bit overcompensating.

no dawdling to the canyons anymore
    nice looking boat, and some nice #'s
    Joe