Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helping to Identify these Hatteras Yachts

I'm looking at 2 Hatteras project boats at the present and need some advice.
    1. Found a Hatteras 1964, 41 foot
    2. Hatteras 1971 41 foot

I just want to buy one of them to fix up mainly for a floating condo as both of the boats motors are not running. I basically want to make a man cave.
    The condition of the two are close to the same. Just trashed out and need to be re built on the inside. One thing I would lean to getting the 64 is that I heard that the glass haul would be thicker and thus stronger, Of course I would replace all the thru hulls and sea cocks. So strength is a plus, Other than that I don't see much of a difference.. Any other reasons why I would pick one over the other.
    116780631_1491820287692121_3477841591036785075_o.jpg120535948_1387113354828988_5454171977293462913_n.jpg

Re: Helping to Identify these Hatteras Yachts

My first thought is that hull strength is not generally a concern with any Hatteras—both of those hulls are very, very strong. For your purposes I would be more focused on the condition of the deck coring (soft spots) and the condition of the interior.

I would not completely overlook the mechanical systems as you may get the itch to cruise someday.

You might want to have the air conditioners checked out: if all the units are dead you will have to pay thousands to replace them. Make sure the bilge pumps and air conditioning pumps are working too. Toilets should be checked for function too, also verify you can get pumped out. You will need access to a pumpout boat or be in a marina with pumpouts at the slip if you cannot move the boat to the pumpout location. What use is a floating condo if you have to get dressed and walk to the bathrooms on shore to take a pee.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

The tarp over the first one (I believe that is the 71)tells me there are leaks. The second one(64?), by the photo, at least, looks like the better boat.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Hull thickness isn’t a concern. The first one looks really abandoned. The second one looks to be marginally better but as others mentioned check for deck softness as well as systems especially air con. The first one has an RV unit so that answers the question. At least it s not a window unit !
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

It probably leaks around the holes they cut to install the RV a/c units. This has certainly caused the core to rot. But who cares? You aren’t going to leave the dock, just slap some Henry’s roofing tar around the gaps and move on. I would get a can of white spray paint and shoot the black tar to help keep cool.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Prices?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

$10,000

I wonder if they are still owned with dockage paid up or repo'd by their respective marinas...... Either way there's a pretty good chance they won't sell and someone is going to have to pay to have them "recycled". I wouldn't pay more than $500 and then you're doing them a favor. There's a lot nicer boats out there for 10K or less.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/li...dedSelected=-1
    Last edited by oscarvan; 12-26-2020 at 11:33 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Run.

Get in your RV and find a nice place to live away from the water.

Most marinas won't allow boats that don't run. Dockage and insurance will also be .ore than you expect
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.