Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

32 Express / Craigs

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/...239525904.html

Don't see these for sale. Wife told me I could buy it. Not gonna happen, do not need 2 boats.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Re: 32 Express / Craigs

Nice boat, but these were among the most problematic engines Caterpillar EVER built.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Nice boat, but these were among the most problematic engines Caterpillar EVER built.
    I would suggest the 3116 was worse.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    I would suggest the 3116 was worse.
    I agree. It was the 3116, not the 3126 that had all of the problems.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I agree. It was the 3116, not the 3126 that had all of the problems.
    That's what my research revealed too. There was a run of soft blocks on the 3126 that can be determined with serial numbers. Otherwise a solid motor.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

The Hull Truth has a very nice 32 for sale in the For Sale section. It is in Palm Beach Gardens. RE powered with 440 Yanmars. Can’t remember the price.

FWIW: The one on THT is a fly bridge, ask 84+. that one looks beautiful. very much like the 32 blackfin, engine boxes, 3 steps up to bridge, 1 step down to cabin. i just wonder about the yanmar 440s. i like low revving diesels, i'd prefer those cats (or dd's)

I had 3116s, which were a pain in the ass, and took them out and replaced them with Cummins 370s. Best thing I ever did. A good friend, with a similar boat to mine (Hatteras 36 Series 1) had 3126s, had even more trouble than I did, including a cracked block on one side and a broken crankshaft on the other. He sold the whole damn boat and bought something else. So we both had plenty of headaches.

Bottom line, I'd avoid either one. Although I think, Sky, from what you said, they were also used in heavy equipment, or trucks or something, and did well there.