Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Getting into the market seriously

We are getting ready to be in the market seriously in the next few months after lurking around here for a quite a while and my wearing my wife down on the subject of a powerboat to use as a mobile waterfront vacation house.

By way of context--I've been boating since I was a child and grew up with both power (mostly Bertrams) and sail boats. My more recent boating experience is with my 32' Sailboat (which I'll be keeping) and we are looking for a Hatteras in the 53'-70' range that we can do coastal cruising with including the ICW and possibly the Great Loop. There are three of us (my wife and I and a soon to be 13 year old daughter) as well as two cats and a goofy Chocolate Lab. My wife and daughter are largely newcomers to boating but are willing to learn (especially my daughter).

I'd love to get feedback from the folks here about some of our initial thoughts on candidate boats as well as how we prepare for owning and handling the boat.

As part of our preparation, we are (as a family) going to get on water training through a group like RPBA and someone like Captain Chris from Ask Captain Chris. If you have any suggestions for other schools/training organizations those would be appreciated. We will supplement this training with USCGA and Power Squadron Courses and more on-water on our boat training after we get the boat. (I'd rather spend too much on training than not enough and all three of us will get trained on how to handle the boat).

Moving on to the boats--

--I would prefer a Sport Deck or Cockpit Motor Yacht/Yachtfish in order to facilitate boarding (especially for the aforementioned Labrador) and I like the 65' Sport Deck and the 67' CPMY for that reason but am concerned that is too big a leap in size from my 32' sailboat. There are also a few 60' Sport Decks around that look nice.

--I've always loved the look of the Series I 58' Motoryacht but wonder about getting my furry friend on and off easily. Same goes for the 53' Motoryacht, Series II 56'/58' Motoryacht and the 54' and 60' Motoryachts

--I'm not that crazy about the look of the 48' and 52' CPMYs although I do admire their accommodations and functionality

--Our budget could stretch to a newer 63' RPH Motoryacht but they don't have quite the same eye appeal to me as the classic 1510 and 18 beam motor yachts do. The plus with these are that they are all stairs (vs ladders) and have a cockpit entry in addition to many being fitted with both bow and stern thrusters (which I would endeavor not to use but it would be nice to have them as a safety net).

--If anyone has a recommendation on a broker they like and trust who knows these boats I would welcome that suggestion as well. Once we zero in on a few candidate boats I'll probably be back on here looking for surveyor suggestions but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Sorry for the multiple questions and long post but I'm a big believer in research and preparation and actually enjoy this part of the process quite a bit. Thanks in advance--Jim

Re: Getting into the market seriously

That’s a lot of ground in one post, but after you find a boat, I think your money would be better spent to hire someone to teach you how to handle YOUR boat and learn the various systems vs generic training. For that matter, if the boat of your dreams happens to be a week or so away from your home port, you can get on the job training for free.

I’ve delivered several boats for people who were absolutely new to boating altogether, or had just purchased their first large boat. I give them as much wheel time as they want, and by the end of the trip, they pretty much have a handle on things. No, you don’t get the boat delivered for free, but you’ll learn a few things on the trip.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Thanks Randy—could the three of us handle a 65’ with some training? That’s my biggest concern.

I need some FreeBird time soon.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

I can tell you one thing, the "ease of living" on a 50+ Hatt, regardless of model, is no comparison to a 32' sailboat. Whereas the latter requires a reasonable amount of agility to get around, especially underway, the Hatt is more like walking around an apartment. There's space to move around, there's space in the heads, the floor is 99% flat. Your landlubbers should have no problem transitioning.

Handling a 65' boat is not overly hard in and of itself, but it does require some aptitude and practice. If I were in your shoes I would indeed take on a Randy to show you how YOUR boat handles, and then I would invest in a bunch of big ass inflatable fenders which make up for a lot of "oops".

After that it's practice, practice, practice.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Jsherid1 View Post
    Thanks Randy—could the three of us handle a 65’ with some training? That’s my biggest concern.
    Yes. Two of you can if the helmsman has talent. Three people buffer for unforeseen and weather conditions. I've solo'd in that size. It's not recommended, although I would feel differently regarding a sportfish in that size range. But the freeboard of a motor yacht coming up to a floating dock with any wind or water flow can be, um, stressful.

Thanks Oscarvan—we use the sailboat for day sailing but are looking forward to some extended cruising with the comforts of home. Practice is going to be a big thing for us once we actually buy the boat as well as many And large fenders.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    I can tell you one thing, the "ease of living" on a 50+ Hatt, regardless of model, is no comparison to a 32' sailboat. Whereas the latter requires a reasonable amount of agility to get around, especially underway, the Hatt is more like walking around an apartment. There's space to move around, there's space in the heads, the floor is 99% flat. Your landlubbers should have no problem transitioning.

Handling a 65' boat is not overly hard in and of itself, but it does require some aptitude and practice. If I were in your shoes I would indeed take on a Randy to show you how YOUR boat handles, and then I would invest in a bunch of big ass inflatable fenders which make up for a lot of "oops".

After that it's practice, practice, practice.
    Agreed, patience and recognition and respect for the weight of the gal...

Quote Originally Posted by Jsherid1 View Post
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    I need some FreeBird time soon.
    Absolutely.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Absolutely.

Absolutely.
    Whats withe the absolutely crap. I thought your a goose man
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.