Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

No Temp signal at either helm

Hi all, after a very long time I finally settled on an 1987 54 motor yacht. Looking to get her down to New Bern soon. There is an issue with my temperature gauges, no reading on either gauge at either helm. Checked grounds and connections, all good. A friend tells me I need senders, and I’m thinking of the coincidence that both are bad at the same time. The boat has only 12 hrs in the last two years, looking for some advice, thanks

Re: No Temp signal at either helm

swat them from the other motor. see if that fixes it
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Are they fed by a common power source, like a DC-DC converter, maybe?

Hi Jim, I’m not sure, this boat is a far sight more complex than Hard Shell. She’s in the Narrows j24The Ethel Marion

IIRC There was some recent discussion on here about the gauges on a 32v boat being run by a 32 to 12v converter. That's probably a good place to start.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Thank you Eric, I’ll look there, that’s if I can find it, oh the joy a new boat😎

Having just the two gauges go out together sounds more like the sensor or it’s wiring. If the converter was bad I think the other gauges might not work either. You don’t say if one side works or if both sides are out.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Both temp gauges on both helms are out, going to replace the senders today and will let you all knowhow thing work, thank you

They ARE more complex, and a 46C isn't exactly a stand-up paddleboard, itself, is it.

If all the temp gauges on both sides of the boat are out, that sounds like a current supply issue to the gauges, and I would look for a 12v-32v converter which has gone on vacation...

I'll be interested to hear what you find on this also. PO converted my boat (1986 54') to 24V but comparing engine room, lower and upper helm gages, all are in agreement. I have a bad sender on starboard engine tachometer, but it does not affect synchronizers, just means I don't have RPM's on that display. However, I can adjust throttles to match RPM's by tone (thank you Detroits). Please post what you find out!
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL