Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

View Poll Results: Cool, Elegant, Outdated or Outrageous

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cool

5 41.67%
  • Elegant

1 8.33%
  • Outdated

5 41.67%
  • Outrageous

2 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: It's not a Hatt but what do you all think of this Baglietto with twin 1600 HP?

Quote Originally Posted by dsharp View Post
    I’ve seen enough crewboats to know I don’t want a 42 year old aluminum hull. You can cover a lot of sins with enough fairing compound.
    What issues have you seen is it just hull, or are there potential issues with structural components or what other problems could exist?

Thanks,
    Bob

Re: It's not a Hatt but what do you all think of this Baglietto with twin 1600 HP?

I didn't look at the whole listing, but my first,... and very politically incorrect, for which I apologize, but I was raised in a different era when such expressions were common,.. thought when I saw the picture was "(Disparaging term for Italians) Gunboat.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Very narrow, 16 foot beam on 81 feet. About the longevity of aluminum hulls I would ask the guy here on the forum that is redoing the aluminum Cris Craft. I doubt he would be putting that much time and money into that boat if he didn’t think the hull was sound. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Very narrow, 16 foot beam on 81 feet. About the longevity of aluminum hulls I would ask the guy here on the forum that is redoing the aluminum Cris Craft. I doubt he would be putting that much time and money into that boat if he didn’t think the hull was sound. John
    Good point!

Aluminum will always have some corrosion and repairs can get costly. Just the topsides can become a nightmare if previous repairs and paint was not done right. They can paint it and make it look like new, but if not prepped right, blisters will pop up all over from the corrosion underneath that you can't see. And that will be a few years after you buy it. I say RUN and don't look back.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Primarily welds cracking and moisture behind fittings, rub rails. Once aluminum degrades to a certain point it’s impossible to weld. I was a little disappointed that there weren’t any pics of the engine room and lazarette. The interior of the boat looks great. If you are diligent about keeping the wiring in top shape an aluminum boat can give good service. You should haul it out annually and check for galvanic corrosion.
    Last edited by dsharp; 12-04-2020 at 10:32 AM.

The best thing you can do with an aluminum boat is not paint it. A little bit of natural corrosion on an unpainted aluminum hull forms a layer that actually protects it from long term damage. The French build a lot of Aluminum boats and usually leave them unpainted, ugly as hell but they last longer that way.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I didn't look at the whole listing, but my first,... and very politically incorrect, for which I apologize, but I was raised in a different era when such expressions were common,.. thought when I saw the picture was "(Disparaging term for Italians) Gunboat.
    WOP? I have an Italian friend who spent most of his life in the US tell me, Dave, don't ever call me WOP again. They use to call my father that, and it meant Without Papers. Of course it could have been Dego or Dago, which is defined here.

Dego Wop
    A term describing a greasy Italian person with abnormal amounts of body hair that sport extensive amounts of jewelry and were their shirts unbuttoned to the top of their bellies. The underbelly of Italian culture. (Typically found in sales departments.)

We are far far too sensitive today. Truth is we all bleed, bread, live and die the same. It is the cultures that make us good or bad and underlying values or virtues we are taught. You are good or bad for mankind regardless of race, justmy two cents. Don't take it personal anyone but to hell with PC. I guess I am getting a little bit wound up as Dec 14 approaches. MAGA
    Last edited by ADOPO; 12-04-2020 at 05:32 PM.

On another note, I think they were referring to this gentleman standing with Shelby Paul O' Shea.

Johnny von Neumann

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/art...ny-von-neumann

https://vintageracecar.com/remembering-johnny/

He is a sports car icon who did more to bring Ferrari and Porsche racing to America than perhaps any other. This would be a very cool boat to own just for the ownership history. And yes, if I were to buy it, there would be a very detailed and expensive survey done. Maybe even an MI5 kind of guy to investigate it's past maintenance history. Cool history, cool boat.

Quote Originally Posted by ADOPO View Post
    WOP? I have an Italian friend who spent most of his life in the US tell me, Dave, don't ever call me WOP again. They use to call my father that, and it meant Without Papers. Of course it could have been Dego or Dago, which is defined here.

Dego Wop
    A term describing a greasy Italian person with abnormal amounts of body hair that sport extensive amounts of jewelry and were their shirts unbuttoned to the top of their bellies. The underbelly of Italian culture. (Typically found in sales departments.)

We are far far too sensitive today. Truth is we all bleed, bread, live and die the same. It is the cultures that make us good or bad and underlying values or virtues we are taught. You are good or bad for mankind regardless of race, just my two cents. Don't take it personal anyone but to hell with PC. I guess I am getting a little bit wound up as Dec 14 approaches. MAGA
    Nope, wasn't any of those. The word is also used for certain small animals that some people keep as pets, or laboratory subjects. It's probably a misuse of the expression anyway since I think it refers more to performance boats, but it struck me as something some of my elders would have commented about it back in the day.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375