Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

View Poll Results: Cool, Elegant, Outdated or Outrageous

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cool

5 41.67%
  • Elegant

1 8.33%
  • Outdated

5 41.67%
  • Outrageous

2 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: It's not a Hatt but what do you all think of this Baglietto with twin 1600 HP?

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Nope, wasn't any of those. The word is also used for certain small animals that some people keep as pets, or laboratory subjects. It's probably a misuse of the expression anyway since I think it refers more to performance boats, but it struck me as something some of my elders would have commented about it back in the day.
    Not to stick my nose into anything but what was considered potentially offensive ? Andiamo, the name of the boat?

If that's the case I would have to consider the cost of changing the name in consideration of buying the boat.

I have heard through the grapevine that the engine room is a wreck, and it did need aluminum repairs which one quality aluminum guy said "no way, not doing it" as it either had too many problems or they wanted to make shoddy repairs. Hearsay, but with every story there is usually some element of truth. So unless the broker has some very good explanation of what has or has not been done, proof of what has or has not been done, and then an extensive survey, I think I am staying away from this one. Still waiting to hear info from my buying broker who is contacting the selling broker, but I am not expecting good news, and at this point have a bad vibe about this one.
    Might just have to stick with a Hatteras (not a bad thing)

Two things about the listing raise red flags to me: 1 no pic's of the engine rooms. 2 the video shows the boat cruising around at very low speed. I would think that a boat that is being touted as the fasted over 70 ft yacht in the world in 1978 would have a picture of it racing along at 38 knots.
    perhaps the lack thereof means they are worried the hull skin would rip off at that speed. I could be over reaching, but it just doesn't add up.

Re: It's not a Hatt but what do you all think of this Baglietto with twin 1600 HP?

I had an aluminum boat. A 44' Striker. I would never have another metal boat, unless it was the SS United States, and that with an impressed current system...

Aluminum aircraft from this era stay in hangars, are annually inspected, and sometimes get AD's requiring eddy current inspections. Aluminum that sits in salt water without proof of this level of care????
    There are likely many more fun ways to spend/lose $$$ than this story. If it were free, would it be a deal??? Insurance????
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    Aluminum aircraft from this era stay in hangars, are annually inspected, and sometimes get AD's requiring eddy current inspections. Aluminum that sits in salt water without proof of this level of care????
    There are likely many more fun ways to spend/lose $$$ than this story. If it were free, would it be a deal??? Insurance????
    Sounds like one to pass on. Sad but I guess things have a certain life.
    It's true, as I recall from a metallurgy class in college, aluminum is not a forever product, suffers from age hardening, embritllement and corrosion, all leading to cracks, and stress fractures.

Back to the Hatteras hunt!

I thought there were many talented Italian designers. It looks like none were available when this was on the drawing board. Regardless of price and the material its constructed of its not pretty to me. Eye of the beholder comes to mind.

Walt Hoover