Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

View Poll Results: Cool, Elegant, Outdated or Outrageous

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cool

5 41.67%
  • Elegant

1 8.33%
  • Outdated

5 41.67%
  • Outrageous

2 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

It's not a Hatt but what do you all think of this Baglietto with twin 1600 HP?

https://www.hmy.com/yachts-for-sale/81-baglietto-motoryacht-1978-andiamo/

I
    have to say, it caught my eye. Fuel economy at hull speed could be an issue, I have no idea.
    I searched the motors and while I could not find anything on the exact model I did find out that the U.S. Navy used this brand motor in some of there ships in the 80's and 90's so I would "Assume" they are tough durable motors. I have mixed feelings. The pro: Damn it would be fun to open that up to 38 knots! The cons? Looking for your opinions. Got my bowl of popcorn ready
    Last edited by Bob Quinn; 12-02-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Re: It's not a Hatt but what do you all think of this Baglietto with twin 1600 HP?

Meh..., I’d go for a Hatt. One with a cockpit. Exotic, Donzi SF. I
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Thumbs up It's not a Hatt but what do you all think of this Baglietto with twin 1600 HP?

I like it!
    Hard work pays off in the future.
    Laziness, pays off now!

Re: It's not a Hatt but what do you all think of this Baglietto with twin 1600 HP?

Just say no to aluminum. I'll take a fiberglass boat.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Just say no to aluminum. I'll take a fiberglass boat.
    Yeah, I have my reservations about the aluminum. It's one thing if a survey can find all the potential problems, or prove there are no problems, but can the problems be hidden? One day you go to the dock and the boat has sunk from a hole? I don't know.... It raises questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    I like it!
    It caught my eye.... almost feel like I'm betraying someone LOL

I’ve seen enough crewboats to know I don’t want a 42 year old aluminum hull. You can cover a lot of sins with enough fairing compound.

We had an older aluminum hulled 92' Broward at my marina go to the yard for hull repair. The owner was so upset with the associated costs that he threw in the towel, sold the boat and got out of boating.

Stick with fiberglass.

Edit - Just scrolled through the link. Something is not right. $280k ask for an 81 footers which just had a $90k refit? I suspect they found something terribly wrong while doing the work. What's that saying? If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.
    Last edited by Passages; 12-03-2020 at 08:47 AM.

If you do decide to buy it you must find a Surveyor that will do an Ultrasound hull inspection. There are not many of us Surveyors out there that know how to do it and you have to rent a machine but it is a must to really know the condition of the aluminum hull. In all my years Surveying I have only done 2 hulls. It takes a long time to do it correctly. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    If you do decide to buy it you must find a Surveyor that will do an Ultrasound hull inspection. There are not many of us Surveyors out there that know how to do it and you have to rent a machine but it is a must to really know the condition of the aluminum hull. In all my years Surveying I have only done 2 hulls. It takes a long time to do it correctly. John
    I agree and as Passages noted, maybe there is something terribly wrong at that price.

I'm thinking perhaps the owner should pay for an ultrasound survey to prove where it's at.

Also someone said any 42 year old aluminum boat could be too far gone, too many issues, I don't know. I would think if all the hull is good is there anything else to worry about? Can structural members be bad, or have corrosion in places you can't see? I know too that aluminum gets brittle over time and stress fractures can occur. i.e. planes fall out of the sky for a reason.