Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What to do in New Bern on a Rainy Saturday

So, I'm heading down to New Bern this weekend to look at a 45C. Wx calls for showers on Sat, so I will probably check her out on Sunday. I'd like the hull to be dry for the moisture meter. So, presuming I come down Fri, is there anything interesting to do there on a Sat? Oh, my wife is not making the trip. I'm going with my fishing buddy Ron. Is there anything to see at the Hatt factory, or is that basically shut down? Any suggestions other than find a bar with a tv?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: What to do in New Bern on a Rainy Saturday

Speaking of bars be careful down there. My daughter is a prosecutor there. She doesn’t cut anyone slack. Lol seriously though they’re having a speeding crackdown 10 over is a felony and they will throw your ass in jail.
    Gen 11 45? Should be a good choice for your mission profile. Big cockpit.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Speaking of bars be careful down there. My daughter is a prosecutor there. She doesn’t cut anyone slack. Lol seriously though they’re having a speeding crackdown 10 over is a felony and they will throw your ass in jail. Gen 11 45? Should be a good choice for your mission profile. Big cockpit.
    15 over is a felony in NC.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I just figured I'd cruise through in my orange Dodge Charger with the Union Jack painted on the sides. They'd never even look at me as I speed by.

Thanks for the heads up though. 15 over is where I usually set my cruise control.

Yes, gen II. Came from factory without fwd windows or side ports. Cummins QSM11S and Northern Lights genny in the
    ER. Sweet looking boat. Seems original inside from the pics. Nobody got "creative" with mirrored bulkheads and tiled galley etc.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    I just figured I'd cruise through in my orange Dodge Charger with the Union Jack painted on the sides. They'd never even look at me as I speed by.

Thanks for the heads up though. 15 over is where I usually set my cruise control.

Yes, gen II. Came from factory without fwd windows or side ports. Cummins QSM11S and Northern Lights genny in the
    ER. Sweet looking boat. Seems original inside from the pics. Nobody got "creative" with mirrored bulkheads and tiled galley etc.
    Bob,

Was stopped in NC for 95 in a 55 back in eighty something. Sunday morning, no traffic, new Mercedes with the big mill. Very nice trooper. Though, I had wondered why he approached me with his hand on his holster. Turned out he chased me for almost eight miles. He wrote the ticket, and I thanked him kindly for correcting my behavior and started for my car. Instead, he told me to follow him in my car. "Oh? Where are we going??" "Jail," he says--Guilford County Detention Center #2. OH CRAP! Me extolling to the judge as fast as I could about being the upstanding businessman and pillar of my community, he never looked up and bail was set. I barely made it resorting to pocket change. I turned the ticket over to my SC lawyer and never gave it a second thought. A few months later, my NC lawyer called. Hell, I didn't even know I had a lawyer in NC. "Who are you again?" And let me tell you, he was proud as punch he had the charge reduced to reckless driving. "Reckless driving!?!" "Oh yes sir, you were charged with felony reckless driving. But the trooper said you were a nice guy and the prosecutor agreed to to reduce it." $90 fine and $400 for the lawyer I didn't know I had and done. Think what a difference a felony conviction (for speeding) would have made on my life. Bob, keep it under 10.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Waaay back when (1990) I was dating my wife and we were on the way to the boat when the Trooper (Ohio) wanted to chat and asked me what hurry I could possibly be in to be doing 105 mph. I stated that: "I'm not in a hurry, I just like to go fast". Apparently this was the wrong answer and I too was to follow the Trooper to the courthouse where I was to post bail for this "non waiverable offense" with the VERY grumpy judge who was roused out of bed on his Saturday morning at 7:30 am.

Although long on looks and style I was quite short on cash. Turned out my lovely companion had a CREDIT CARD..... amazing things I tell you..... She was a keeper, although I am occasionally reminded of this episode when my foot gets heavy..... "I am not posting bail for you....." Then I say: "I'll get it...." Then I get... THE LOOK!
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Driving with NY plates is a felony in most states. Be careful out there.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

New Bern area.
    So, when our Custom Carolina CC was being built in Little Washington I would usually fly into New Bern.
    When I had time I always cruised through the Jarrett Bay yard and sometimes drive over to Harkers Island for a look around too.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Drive on to Morehead City, Atlantic Beach or Beaufort .

If it wasn’t for covid I’d say go bar and food hopping downtown. There are enough interesting places there for an afternoon. Just don’t ask for a Coke! They are the birthplace of Pepsi.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987