Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Drilling 53' MY keel to check for water intrusion

Guys, thanks for the detailed updates. Mike

I can not be the first to think that you could mount a transom drain plug like used on runabouts on the back side of the keel at close to the lowest point and just open the plug when the boat is hauled. If you recess mounted it in this position it would be protected from groundings, you could glass it in except for the 1/2 inch thread hole, use an allen wrench plug with some Locktite for a flush fit and be done with the drilling. Bonding would not be possible. Please comment on this idea.

Pete Drez

i wouldn't want a plug underwater that wasn't grounded. heck, i don't want any more metal underwater than absolutely necessary anyway...

the water, if you have the problem, only has a very limited number of choices to find this access. the problem, if significant, should be sorted out and once cured disappear.

i had the same fears about mine so i drilled a 1 inch hole 12 inches into the stern edg of the keel....only to find virgin foam. repaired the hole and moved on with the knowledge that things are tight.