Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 1970’s Salon window expertise

Jmooney do you have any pictures of tool you made? Or showing the process?

The job is a pain in the neck, or regions south of the neck. Getting the old plastic material out is difficult because it usually breaks into pieces and has to come out a bit at a time. Getting the new plastic and felt in isn't easy, either. The whole thing is best done indoors, if you can, or, if not, in nice weather. Tedious doesn't begin to describe it.

How do the windows come out? I assume you have to take them out first? My frames are actually in great shape (fresh water under cover most of its life), but I thought about renewing the felt and track to make them slide smoothly (they work now but a little binding).
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Up and out...... Buy a set of high quality glazier's suction cups.

I was going to remove one of my square ones to get a piece of furniture out as it is the largest "hole" in the salon. Alas the outer one has to come out first and has an aluminum "U" channel on the end of it prohibiting it from going up. I am assuming it is held on with goop of some sort, but it didn't want to come off easily, so I aborted the mission. I would welcome insight into the removal of this piece.

We were able to get the couch out the back deck enclosure onto the swim platform with 4 people.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 11-30-2020 at 11:57 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Thanks. We actually had the original sleeper on it when we bought it, and cut it up. As far as the window slide handles, I think mine will come off with just some force, one is loose already. I planned on putting them back on with silicone adhesive.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Just bought a 1973 38' Hatteras FBDC. The windows are quite like those described with three tracks - one for a sliding glass, one for a fixed glass and one for a screen. The windows slide, but the tracks were full of growth from neglect. The openings to drain the water were open so no water building up. It is easy to clean the drain openings. Thought I would have to replace all the slides, but with a very good detailed cleaning and dirt removal and lubrication, they work much better. Took a lot of scraping and vacuuming. New sliders are still needed but not urgent and I will wait another year. The inside frames are bronze and have a high internal wall so very little chance of leaking. I think it is remarkable they have done so well for 47 years, but the first owner (39 years) kept it inside for much of the time and no salt water. Happy to know I can get new sliders ... was worried about that. Best windows I have seen on a boat that old ... ever. Just wish the front windows had an opening. And must do a bit of caulking in the outside corners of the front windows, come spring. Will tape and use Flex Seal liquid ...

I will send a picture of the tool I made when I get back to Miami next week. The windows remove by lifting them up and then pulling the bottom out . The u shaped channel on the front of the sliding window is held on by various methods. Mine are held by using tape to create a tight fit with the glass . Some people had used a sealant to keep them on . Tap with a wooden block to get them loose . The aluminum frames might have settled, so the middle of the frame might have to be jacked up slightly to remove the glass . As someone above mentioned, a truly tedious task!
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

On my aft sliders I oversized and added a drain hole. This spring redoing both sides of aft deck are on my list, when we get heavy or southern rain I get some water that gets the carpet wet.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

And Sams has the plastic slides and fuzzies that you need.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The slide and wool replacement will make a world of difference in the operation of the windows. I did mine a year ago and couldn't be more pleased. I had the frames out of the boat. The worst part was getting the old slides our. As Dr. Jim said it breaks into small pieces and had to be pulled out with picks. The old wool pulled out like a zipper, easy. The tool for getting the new wool back in is a paint can opener, the idea of a forum member. The most difficult piece is the one next to the tall inside channel as there is little angle to work the tool in there. The plastic slide can pe pushed down in until it snaps with a block of wood the same width of the channel.Its quite a task but very rewarding when finished.

Walt Hoover