Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1970’s Salon window expertise

Need some serious direction on this one. Working on 41’ 1970 twin cabin. Just spent the first night on her when raining and I was able to pinpoint leakage issues. Main issue is the glass on both sides of salon. I really need to speak with someone on this forum to better understand the engineering behind these window frames, and how they are supposed to function correctly. It seems that the water is building up in the bottom of the tracks and just sitting there? Water is actually getting into the inside track and just sitting there? Any direction on this would be great, and I appreciate it greatly as I bring this old girl back to life little by little!

Re: 1970’s Salon window expertise

Sliders or fixed glass?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sliders!!

There are 3 tracks, 2 occupied by pieces of glass, and I would assume one track might have originally held a screen?

Quote Originally Posted by acbs38 View Post
    There are 3 tracks, 2 occupied by pieces of glass, and I would assume one track might have originally held a screen?
    That is correct. What do you need to know? How to remove the glass?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I need to know what material should the glass be “running” on . It appears at some time there was a bristle type material on bottom of track. Beyond deterioration at this point. Also how is water infiltrating the very interior track behind a piece of glass in track 2. I’m counting tracks as 1,2,3 from exterior to interior.

There are plastic glides that the panes slide on or close against all the way around the window frames. There is also felt that the face of the window panes slide against. On our boat there are drains slots at both ends of the window frames. When we purchased Benedetto the aft deck window frames had a full on herb garden growing in the bottom track of the window frames. This prevented the water from finding the gaps in the plastic glides and the drain slots in the window frames. This caused water to back up enough to spill over into the inside of the aft deck bulkhead. Originally I used a scrub brush and water to clean out the garden which solved the water drain issue. I also went to Sam’s and purchased the glide and felt material. You’ll need to know how many feet of felt you need. You’ll also need to know the size of the plastic glide (there are two thicknesses) and total length needed as well.
    They say here that the felt slides in easily once the old felt is out and the tracks are free of corrosion and clean. Full disclosure, I have been procrastinating on this project since buying Benedetto. I have the material needed, just dreading the process. Hope this helps.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

I have done this , much easier if the frame is out , as when you have made some new frames. However, most of what I have replaced was with the windows in place . You need to make a tool to help install the fuzzy seals in the tracks . The nylon inserts go in easily. The fuzzy material does not slide that easy in the tracks .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Holy awesome info! Do you know if there is any schematic showing glass, plastic guide and felt? Plastic guide goes around the entire window frame? Felt is between interior and glass?

Thickness of plastic is based on thickness of glass or width of track?