Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Damager rub rail aft starboard side

I have a damaged rub rail, some may call it a spray rail. Never trust guest, even other skippers, to handle fender duties. The forward hardware, likely 4, are buried behind the chest of drawers and behind the muffler. I can cut it off, but still need to reinstall.

Any suggestions?

'73 58 YF, athwart ship queen.

Thanks
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

2. Re: Damager rub rail aft starboard side

You can't put full blame on the person(s) doing fender work. It sounds like the helmsman may have momentarily lost control of the boat.

Those fasteners are almost impossible to reach and are most likely corroded after 47 years. Find someone small and skinny.
    Last edited by kelpy; 11-29-2020 at 11:02 AM.

Re: Damager rub rail aft starboard side

Hello, have you removed the the stainless trim yet? When I had mine off I found that it was held on with nuts sitting in counterbores. If yours is the same you may get lucky and be able to get it off with some gentle prying once the nuts are removed.
    Good luck.

Walt Hoover

After the stainless trim is removed you may be able to scarf a section in and not have to unbolt the entire rail. You may have to chisel the damaged section off around the fasteners then cut the fasteners. It’s not a job that you want to attempt while the boat is in the water. I have no opinion about responsibility for the damage.

What is the rail around the top edge of the deck called? I thought that was the rub rail.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I think it is. But there is also stainless molding on the quarter-fenders, which are those rails at the back of the boat, down near the waterline, and I've heard those called rubrails, too.

My rub rail, a stainless steel rail that goes all the way forward to aft at the widest point high up the hull, was held on by screws into the fiberglass. The quarter fenders stick out at the aft waterline to provide a base for a lower stainless rub rail where the hull is more narrow at the waterline than above, so the high and low rub rails are roughly equal distance from a seawall or lock wall. My quarter fenders were held on by nuts on a bolt which were accessed by removing the stainless rail on top of the wood fenders. The stainless rail was held on by large wood screws.

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    You can't put full blame on the person(s) doing fender work. It sounds like the helmsman may have momentarily lost control of the boat.

Those fasteners are almost impossible to reach and are most likely corroded after 47 years. Find someone small and skinny.
    Thanks for doubting my skill, the damage occurred long after making fast to the dock
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Well the rub rail I s off, 5 3/8 carrige bolts. Likely going fill the front holes and redrill.

Next, get to work reproducing the rub rail, some 12' long.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Did it come off reasonably easily or did you have to resort to cutting?

Walt Hoover