Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Emergency air shut off

My 1971 DD 671 (natural) continued to run slowly after shut off, so I pulled the emergency air shut off lever at the helm, and that worked. Now how do I reset it? The original manual (1971) for the engine is very sparse: It states that just pushing the lever back in will reset the flapper door at the engine. What I have read states the the door has to be reset at the engine, that just pushing the lever back will not work. Do I need to take off the entire air silencer or just one of the end grills?

Re: Emergency air shut off

Quote Originally Posted by rjdhaem View Post
    My 1971 DD 671 (natural) continued to run slowly after shut off, so I pulled the emergency air shut off lever at the helm, and that worked. Now how do I reset it? The original manual (1971) for the engine is very sparse: It states that just pushing the lever back in will reset the flapper door at the engine. What I have read states the the door has to be reset at the engine, that just pushing the lever back will not work. Do I need to take off the entire air silencer or just one of the end grills?
    There is nothing to take off, or to take apart. on your blower the side that is closest to the block there is a little spring loaded locking lever, you have to just open the air damper until the latch clicks into it's notch I'll look for a picture .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8dtkwWfJyk

same on the 671
    Last edited by Jims43DC; 04-19-2021 at 09:01 AM.
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

I have the same boat and engines, and I just was working on this set up this weekend, had to adjust my cable a little etc...

You can see where the cables lead down to the mechanism, and at the bottom of the mechanism there is a lever that you push down/towards the block and that will reset it.

The air doors them selves are accessible if you take the air silencer off, and you can pop them back open with you finger. They just have little springs that get reset. But you shouldn't need to do that. Definitely would have to remove the entire silencer to get to it though.

Also of note, you can actuate stop level by hand if necessary, rather than using the air doors, if you look at the engine with the hatch off, you can stand at the helm and hit the stop button and you can see what happens if you don't know what the stop solenoids are.

One other thing I have noticed is, if the throttle level is not ALL the way back, the engine won't shut down with the shut off solenoid, so if it is accidentally advanced a little it doesn't work as it should.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Thanks that worked. Easy when you know the trick. Also, I think the reason the engine kept running was due to the throttle being just slightly advanced during shut down.

5. Re: Emergency air shut off

Anothertrick if one of your engines keeps running after shutting it down is to put onyour engine synchronizer if you have one. I had a boat with671’s that did the same thing if I did not have the engine sync on.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328