Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hatteras High water sensor location.

I need to locate the Hatteras factory high water sensor on my 53' so that I can test it. First, what does it look like and where, in which bilge is it located?

Thanks
    Robert Moore
    Lagniappe
    '73 53' Hatteras Classic
    Hull 391

Re: Hatteras High water sensor location.

There are high water sensors in every bilge. The 2 engine room bilge sensors are located in the bilge forward of each engine accessed by a hatch in the floor there. The generator room bilge is in the genny compartment under the galley floor, with a bilge hatch forward of the generator. The aft bilge is in the middle of the aft stateroom under the floor. The aft bilge hatch depends on the layout of the stateroom, but the bilge is near the center of the room fore/aft and a little to the SB side of the centerline of the boat.
    Factory high water sensors look like a little plastic cylinder with 2 wires running to the top and open at the bottom. They were usually just 2 metal rods very close to each other so when water covered them for more than a second or two, the electrical current could pass enough to sound the alarm. They can be tested with a glass of water by putting it under the sensor and lifting to submerge the bottom of the sensor in water for 2 seconds or more.
    Last edited by Nonchalant1; 11-26-2020 at 10:12 AM.

I don't think there were any high bilge alarms in 1973 models. Those came along later.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I don't think there were any high bilge alarms in 1973 models. Those came along later.
    Does he have the Instalarm panel?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

My 1983 has them where nonchalant said but mine are not the two rod version, if I remember correctly mine are some kind of black rubberish plumb bob looking version. I’ll post pic if I can find it.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

We have a 1974 model with the high water alarms, it appears to be factory by the looks of them
    1984 Hurley 36 Express sold
    1974 46C series I sold
    1984 46HP series II

My 1979 has them.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
    We have a 1974 model with the high water alarms, it appears to be factory by the looks of them
    You say you have a 1974 but your signature line say 1984. Which is it? Or do you own two Hatts?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Does he have the Instalarm panel?
    Yes, my '73 has an Instalarm panel. It's the original style with the four indicators vertical on the right side.
    Robert Moore
    Lagniappe
    '73 53' Hatteras Classic
    Hull 391