Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

SHINNY METAL PARTICULATES IN and the top or diesel FUEL FILTERS

My 50ft Sport Fish 2006 Hatteras was running exceptionally until I had my fuel cleaned. Cat C-18's with 1300 original hours. Up to date on all maintenance, including the Onan Gene.

After cleaning the fuel it ran rough, I let the air dissipate for a day and it ran well again.

Two days later, I ran it for 6 hours at normal cruising speed. I checked the fuel filters and found small particles of brass/bronze in and around the top of the filter. I tried a magnet, it didn't pick up the metal.

The only two sources of non magnetic metals I can think of is the senders on the top of the tank where they siphoned the fuel, the fuel scrubbing equipment, or maybe the fuel tank transfer pump that decided to quit. What else may not be magnetic and shinny brass/bronze in the fuel system?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Ron T

Re: SHINNY METAL PARTICULATES IN and the top or diesel FUEL FILTERS

Quote Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
    My 50ft Sport Fish 2006 Hatteras was running exceptionally until I had my fuel cleaned. Cat C-18's with 1300 original hours. Up to date on all maintenance, including the Onan Gene. After cleaning the fuel it ran rough, I let the air dissipate for a day and it ran well again. Two days later, I ran it for 6 hours at normal cruising speed. I checked the fuel filters and found small particles of brass/bronze in and around the top of the filter. I tried a magnet, it didn't pick up the metal.The only two sources of non magnetic metals I can think of is the senders on the top of the tank where they siphoned the fuel, the fuel scrubbing equipment, or maybe the fuel tank transfer pump that decided to quit. What else may not be magnetic and shinny brass/bronze in the fuel system?Thoughts would be appreciated.Ron T
    The tank top plate is likely bronze. Is it bolted on with SS bolts or bronze screws/bolts?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

If everything was running well why did you have the fuel polished??

Don't think it's a big deal, my bet is the transfer pump spit out some pieces during its demise.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Re: SHINNY METAL PARTICULATES IN and on the top of diesel FUEL FILTERS

I was told there was too much algae in the tanks as seen on the fuel filters.
    Will never do that again, I'd rather just replace filters.

I believe the transfer pump was on accidently and wore out something.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    If everything was running well why did you have the fuel polished??

Don't think it's a big deal, my bet is the transfer pump spit out some pieces during its demise.
    That is all I can think of as well. thanks for the reply

Ron

To get the tank walls clean you really need to get in there and basically wash them through the tank access plates at the least.
    Ours were so bad that we ended up cutting some additional holes in between the baffles, where we could, on the top of the tanks, used a pressure washer.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Some biocide will kill the algae. It will then all eventually end up in the filters.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: SHINNY METAL PARTICULATES IN FUEL FILTERS

thanks for the reply. I suspect the fuel transfer tank pump broke down and the small particles are from the impeller. I am trying to find out what metal the impeller is made from. I suspect it is bronze particulates

Most transfer pumps are bronze pump bodies with either bronze or mild steel gears. They should use a filter before the pump. It doesn’t take much trash to kill one.

Re: SHINNY METAL PARTICULATES IN FUEL FILTERS

+Fuel was tested and it turned out to be boron, minor element, no metal. Thanks for your thoughts.

Ron T