Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Inverter Lessons Learned/ Shared

2013 I installed an inverter system on Lilly Marie. Overall I have been well pleased. The Magnum 2800 MS system has worked well, was used often and saved unnecessary generator use. The 4 lead acid 6v batteries from Sams Club lasted Over 7 years. Replacing the 65# batteries, struggling to maneuver them and handle 4/0 cabling brings to mind a One mistake.

I chose a 12v system and added a combiner so the engine alternator could charge the batteries. A 12v system requires cables twice as large and more difficult to route than a 24v system. I’ve never utilized the alternator charging because there was always a need to run the generator at least every 8 hours.

If I had it to do over, I’d go with 24v
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Re: Inverter Lessons Learned/ Shared

Before we brought our boat home to Virginia from South Carolina I had a simple 2000 watt inverter installed with one plug in the galley so I could run the fridge and coffee pot without running the generator. It was hooked to one 8D FLA battery that was also used for the windlass and half of the bow thruster.

With no way to monitor usage and no idea what we were doing, we quickly drained the battery with the refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot and then fried the battery overcharging it.

I have since replaced the battery with four 6 volt AGM batteries, installed a Balmer SG200 battery monitor, replaced the 110 volt refrigerator with a 12 volt unit with low average current draw and I'm replacing the microwave with an inverter unit that draws current proportionally to the load.

You may not be able to fix stupid, but at least I can anticipate it. I know, just run the damn generator.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

For me, both the inverter and the generator have a role. The inverter with its own 4 GC batteries allow me to keep the refrigerator, freezer a few cabin lights and 110v Sonos stereo running without the generator for 8 hours and still have 50% battery. When we don’t need the AC I don’t have to run the generator with almost no load,saving generator wear. When we want coffee or to use the electric stove, crank the generator and recharge the inverter batteries. Other than the bad choice on voltage, I’ve been pleased.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

I am looking to install a Victron Inverter on my 58MY. I am confused about whether to get a 110 inverter or a 220. Obviously I will not be running any 220 appliances off the inverter, but is it easier to wire it to the panel box if it is 220?

Talk to Scott (Boatsb). Most of the diagrams at Victron's site I have seen achieve 240 split phase by wiring two Victron 120v units together. They do have 230v units, but those are for the European market, and I don't think they are split phase. And 230v isn't 240v
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Thanks for the info.

I installed an Outback 3232 back in 2006. It has worked very well at running pretty much everything on the boat. I installed it like it was a second generator so I just flip the source over to it and away we go. I used the house Rolls 32v bank and I can usually get about 12hrs of use before I need to recharge. When running the alternator keeps the batteries at full charge regardless of what we are running on the inverter. I would not change this setup as it works well for our needs with only running the generator for a couple of hours in the morning and the evening when at anchor
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I wish they still made the 32v outback.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL