Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stainless riser

1. Stainless riser

Had turbos rebuilt 2 years ago. Looks like the stainless riser sprung a leak. It’s now fused / rusted to the manifold.
    I need to get it off and new one made. I’ve beat on it with hammer. Used small chisle used pb blaster and it’s stuck solid. How would you go about getting it off.
    Turbo was stuck but managed to get it off.

Not sure how much abuse the manifold can take
    Attached Images
    TommyB
    Full Cave Diver Instructor TDI
    NAUI
    TDI/SDI
    www.cavediver.net

Re: Stainless riser

Alternating heat and PB. And I'm talking MAP gas heat. (Not quite acetylene heat.) Heat it up, squirt. Squirt more. Repeat. Eventually it works its way in there as the expansion/contraction cycles slowly open it up. I remember a shaft coupling taking a week of this, twice a day then soak in PB. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

3. Re: Stainless riser

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Alternating heat and PB. And I'm talking MAP gas heat. (Not quite acetylene heat.) Heat it up, squirt. Squirt more. Repeat. Eventually it works its way in there as the expansion/contraction cycles slowly open it up. I remember a shaft coupling taking a week of this, twice a day then soak in PB. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
    Thank. Will try that and a dead blow mallet
    TommyB
    NAUI
    TDI/SDI
    www.cavediver.net

Quote Originally Posted by TommyB View Post
    Thank. Will try that and a dead blow mallet
    Old steamfitter friend of mine taught me big blows are only so effective. He used to take a fairly heavy ball peen hammer and tap things firmly but not stupid hard. And he would do it at about a 60bpm tempo..... called it "Making music". Saw him do it for minutes at a time.... with great success.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

5. Re: Stainless riser

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Old steamfitter friend of mine taught me big blows are only so effective. He used to take a fairly heavy ball peen hammer and tap things firmly but not stupid hard. And he would do it at about a 60bpm tempo..... called it "Making music". Saw him do it for minutes at a time.... with great success.
    Thanks. Good tip
    TommyB
    NAUI
    TDI/SDI
    www.cavediver.net

Maybe this will make a difference moving forward.
    Marine Exhaust in Riviera Beach Fl made our risers when we did the 8v92ti repower, they came with a gasket for in between the riser and the turbo housing. Same thing for our CAT's too.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E