Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Replace analog AC controls for digital

I have a 1979 43DC with 2 AC/Heat units that still have the original analog (3 dial) controls. Has anyone replaced these controls on a 43DC of similar vintage? I'm curious whose system you used (please be specific with part numbers etc) and what was involved - where was access needed for new control wiring - if any. And finally - are you happy with the updated controls? Thanks in advance!

Re: Replace analog AC controls for digital

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Yup. What Sky said. I put 2 in my '79 43C. Simple install. IIRC, the color coding on the wiring of the original even corresponds to the color of the FX1. And if you run a couple more wires to the AC unit it even will give you diagnostics.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Bob you make that sound very easy. Unfortunately the control box for the salon unit is in a place where I'd have to stand on my head to work on it. And I'm guessing the control box for the aft cabin is above the hanging locker where the unit is located. Guess I need to do a little more investigating. Sadly there isn't a marine air conditioning serviceman near me - closest is 150 miles away.

When you say Control Box, are you referring to the 3 knob panel? All my wiring was done at the circuit block that the 3 knob control panel was wired to.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

20201112_170820.jpg

Is your unit different in the DC than mine in the convertible? My controls were where the new teak piece is on the unit. I chose to relocate my FX1 elsewhere, but the circuit block with all the wiring was very accessible behind the patch.

$563 and currently unavailable. I was going to until I realized that was over $2200 worth, and I have other projects that need two grand more than that. Meanwhile, i read the manual for the dial controls (I know, crazy talk right?) and have actually made peace with them. They are quirky, but consistent. Once you figure them out you can control the temperature within a few degrees. No intention to replace them now.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

MicroAir makes nearly all the controls for A/C systems on boats: http://www.micro-air.com/products_microair.cfm

You can buy direct from them on their webstore: https://www.microair.net , or maybe find a distributor that has better prices.

Call up and talk to Ocean Breaze A/C and maybe they can get you set up with a kit http://www.oceanbreezeac.com/
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Sorry, wrong link. The new FX1 link is here:

https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.co...egory=25823691

Its $5 more than the old one.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

One of the best upgrades I ever did on my boat. Highly recommended.