Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

38 vs 43 double cabins

Hello everyone. Still looking to buy a boat. Every now and then I see a decent enough 43 dc, of the early 70’s vintage that seems like it will work - but wondering how that boat compares to the 38 double cabin of same era?

The marina we want to stay at has 40 foot slips, and 50 foot slips. They charge by the slip size, not the boat size. So i would likely be looking at another $2,000 per year once I break 40.

ive looked at a few 43’s, but have only seen pictures of the 38. Wondering how the two boats compare in performance, efficiency, and overall roominess. Does the extra five feet make a huge difference?

there was a 44 triple cabin ( that only had two cabins!) in my area that sold, was listed for 34k. sadly it sold before I had a chance to look. Really liked that layout, from the pictures at least.

Appreciate any opinions, thanks.

Re: 38 vs 43 double cabins

Just bought a 38' FBDC and happy with it space wise. Have you seen a copy of the original brochure? Think you can find it on this site. Solid as a rock at 30,000 lbs.

Thumbs down Re: 38 vs 43 double cabins

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Hello everyone. Still looking to buy a boat. Every now and then I see a decent enough 43 dc, of the early 70’s vintage that seems like it will work - but wondering how that boat compares to the 38 double cabin of same era?

The marina we want to stay at has 40 foot slips, and 50 foot slips. They charge by the slip size, not the boat size. So i would likely be looking at another $2,000 per year once I break 40.

ive looked at a few 43’s, but have only seen pictures of the 38. Wondering how the two boats compare in performance, efficiency, and overall roominess. Does the extra five feet make a huge difference?

there was a 44 triple cabin ( that only had two cabins!) in my area that sold, was listed for 34k. sadly it sold before I had a chance to look. Really liked that layout, from the pictures at least.

Appreciate any opinions, thanks.
    The wife and I are extremely happy with the 1980 43 dcfb that we found this past summer it is the perfect boat for us , plenty of room and handles very well. although we only were able to use it for a few months due to freezing weather arriving we are confident that it will carry us around the Loop with ease this coming season. If there is one drawback it would be the size of the engine compartment, the 671's fill it up pretty much, if I gain a few more pounds my 6 foot stature will not fit in there any more, as of now I can access everything if I hold back my claustrophobia.
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

Thanks. I was wondering about the engine rooms. I have seen the model brochures, trying to decipher from them where I gain five feet when moving up from 38 to the 43. The 38 brochure has all of the dimensions for each are, but the 43 brochures do not. If the extra length is evenly divided up between the vberth, galley, salon, and master - seems like the boats would feel about the same size. But if the 43 has an extra five feet in the salon, or the aft deck - i imagine it would feel like a much bigger boat. Really just need to see a few more boats before i decide. And figure out if the 43 is beamier(?).

also wondering if the electric, plumbing, etc. get more complex on the 43, or if they are mostly the same.

I don’t think the model brochure shows headroom. I’m 6’6, so probably bending over in both of these salons, staterooms, and heads - but hopefully not at the helm. If the 43 is bit taller, that would be a major plus for me.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 11-20-2020 at 12:55 PM.

The 38' has 6'3" head room in salon and more in galley. The engine room is tight with two 427 engines but there are two large hatches which give good working room when opened. I installed hinges and lift handle on the two large hatches which makes opening and closing easy; however, one has to make room in the salon to open them.

I removed the old carpet and now struggling with what flooring to use ... vinyl? Must allow for opening of the 4 hatches.

I am 6 foot even and as far as head room there is ample in all areas on our 43, and plenty of hatches in saloon sole, one center and double hatches on either side, so with moving things around you can get into the engine space from three different points
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

I removed the old carpet and now struggling with what flooring to use ... vinyl? Must allow for opening of the 4 hatches.”

if I ever do another interior deck/floor, I’m going to give lonseal a try.

although i have to admit, every time I open one of the model brochures and see a picture of red, orange, or green shag carpet, I start to wonder how cool it would be to do a period appropriate restoration - complete with 8 track tape player, and polyester clothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Thanks. I was wondering about the engine rooms. I have seen the model brochures, trying to decipher from them where I gain five feet when moving up from 38 to the 43. The 38 brochure has all of the dimensions for each are, but the 43 brochures do not. If the extra length is evenly divided up between the vberth, galley, salon, and master - seems like the boats would feel about the same size. But if the 43 has an extra five feet in the salon, or the aft deck - i imagine it would feel like a much bigger boat. Really just need to see a few more boats before i decide. And figure out if the 43 is beamier(?).

also wondering if the electric, plumbing, etc. get more complex on the 43, or if they are mostly the same.

I don’t think the model brochure shows headroom. I’m 6’6, so probably bending over in both of these salons, staterooms, and heads - but hopefully not at the helm. If the 43 is bit taller, that would be a major plus for me.
    Seems to me the difference is primarily the salon, and also the galley in the 43 is down.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by brettportzer View Post
    Seems to me the difference is primarily the salon, and also the galley in the 43 is down.
    The galley in the 38 is also down, but plenty of natural light from the front windows.