Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Engine Room Fire Suppression System

At the end of this past boating season, I had a my engine room fire suppression system inspected, and learned that it was not operational, and because it was the original 1973 system, they tell me the tanks could not be refilled, plus there were other issues. Just getting the inspection was about $500. I am waiting for an estimate to get the system working again, but wanted to see if there are options that I should be aware of using the existing tanks and lines? Their exact wording from the Inspection reports for both engines was "Cylinder is empty and past due for hydro test. Heat detectors did not function and would not activate the actuator. Discharge hose needs to be replaced"
    Thank you for your feedback.
    Beach House-Hull#421

Re: Engine Room Fire Suppression System

Typical stuff , the tanks do need inspection. I would not think that they need to be replaced , but they might try that on you . Especially if you are anywhere like Miami. The discharge hose should be replaced at this time. As far as the heat sensors go , I would think that the problem is in the tubing , allowing a leak in pressure, easily fixed . A company doing this would charge about $1500 for two tanks . I would imagine that a new system would be far more expensive.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Great feedback!
    Thanks
    Beach House-Hull#421

Hello, my tank was also original 1973 with CO2. The company had no problem testing and refilling it, under 100.00 dollars. I did remove the tank, clean it up and give it a fresh coat of paint. The bottom had some surface rust that sanded off easily. Mr. Clarckson has a thread here on how to test the system and triggers, very easy with a heat gun. My hose was just braid covered hose that can be made up at any good hydraulic shop.

Walt Hoover

Why not replace the existing CO2 system with a Halon automatic system? I did so in the 80's and gained allot of room plus spent less money.

No marine halon systems since 1994.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

It appears that these are fully self contained and simply added to each engine room, and attached similar to the current tank? Has anyone had experience with these tanks? It almost seem like too easy of a solution.
    Beach House-Hull#421

Quote Originally Posted by mgernes View Post
    It appears that these are fully self contained and simply added to each engine room, and attached similar to the current tank? Has anyone had experience with these tanks? It almost seem like too easy of a solution.
    The one in the link is for a very small engine space (75 CF). Just one of our engine rooms is about 250 CF. There are advantages of CO2, such as zero residue. And it is cheap. If you already have the tank, get it refilled for a couple hundred $.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL