Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hatteras 61 Cockpit Motor Yacht with Cummins engines?

There is a 1984 Hatteras 61 Cockpit Motor Yacht with Cummins, 2009, QSL9-405 engines in Vero Beach, FL. Is this a good idea for a cruising boat?

Re: Hatteras 61 Cockpit Motor Yacht with Cummins engines?

With only 405hp that s a trawler. Economical? Sure. But it s not going to get on plane so only cruise speed is 9.5 kts

Depends on how you plan on using the boat.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I fail to see the logic in this. If you have a boat that size, your fuel cost is probably the smallest single item in your yearly expenditure on that size boat. Why would someone put a pair of tiny engines in a boat that size and make it sale-proof in the future?

It’s been listed for three years or more, I’m sure the owner is asking himself the same questions. I looked at her before buying our 63’ and passed. Since then, looking back, we could have done all of our travels in a smaller engined boat since the only time we went faster than hull speed was to warm up the big old engines. I would have missed the extra 2’ in the master stateroom and salon though. I did think she was a very nice boat in above average condition and we did make an offer on her which was not countered, so we looked elsewhere.

The big unknown is how she will be in a sea with so much weight removed from the engine rooms. There have been two threads about this in the past few years and I linked to them in another thread in the past month or so.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    With only 405hp that s a trawler. Economical? Sure. But it s not going to get on plane so only cruise speed is 9.5 kts

Depends on how you plan on using the boat.

Thank you. Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I fail to see the logic in this. If you have a boat that size, your fuel cost is probably the smallest single item in your yearly expenditure on that size boat. Why would someone put a pair of tiny engines in a boat that size and make it sale-proof in the future?
    Thank you for your helpful response.

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    It’s been listed for three years or more, I’m sure the owner is asking himself the same questions. I looked at her before buying our 63’ and passed. Since then, looking back, we could have done all of our travels in a smaller engined boat since the only time we went faster than hull speed was to warm up the big old engines. I would have missed the extra 2’ in the master stateroom and salon though. I did think she was a very nice boat in above average condition and we did make an offer on her which was not countered, so we looked elsewhere.

The big unknown is how she will be in a sea with so much weight removed from the engine rooms. There have been two threads about this in the past few years and I linked to them in another thread in the past month or so.

Had a conversation with a knowledgeable person on this subject and his thoughts agree.

It s not just the annual budget but the cost of the repower itself. Whether you put bigger or smaller engines, the labor costs, engine bed fabrication, etc are pretty much the same. Plus whatever else you’re going to do at the same time.

By the time you ve spent $150 to $200k in a repower, $30/40k more for bigger engines isn’t a big deal.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I agree. As you say, a big chunk of the cost of a repower (unless you put the identical engines back in, and that isn't done often) is the revision of the engine beds, wiring, plumbing, etc, for the new engines.

I suppose that people who repower a large boat with small engines figure that most people run them slowly, and that's maybe true. But other aspects come into it- the changes in weight and distribution, the reserve power for when you need it, and most of all the resale value. I think if you repower a boat that size with modern engines of the same power, the value will go up a bit- not what you have in the work, but some. And someone will want to buy it. But if you go small as in this boat, you may own it for life. Your life.

I agree. As you say, a big chunk of the cost of a repower (unless you put the identical engines back in, and that isn't done often) is the revision of the engine beds, wiring, plumbing, etc, for the new engines.

I suppose that people who repower a large boat with small engines figure that most people run them slowly, and that's maybe true. But other aspects come into it- the changes in weight and distribution, the reserve power for when you need it, and most of all the resale value. I think if you repower a boat that size with modern engines of the same power, the value will go up a bit- not what you have in the work, but some. And someone will want to buy it. But if you go small as in this boat, you may own it for life. Your life.
    I would agree, but then I think, why do the long range cruisers demand a higher price? Are there things better on the LRC's?