Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Hatteras 61 Cockpit Motor Yacht with Cummins engines?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    I would agree, but then I think, why do the long range cruisers demand a higher price? Are there things better on the LRC's?
    Different boats. Different hulls, massive amounts of fuel and water, (even) heavier built, and all of them in smaller numbers.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Lightbulb Re: Hatteras 61 Cockpit Motor Yacht with Cummins engines?

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    It’s been listed for three years or more, I’m sure the owner is asking himself the same questions. I looked at her before buying our 63’ and passed. Since then, looking back, we could have done all of our travels in a smaller engined boat since the only time we went faster than hull speed was to warm up the big old engines. I would have missed the extra 2’ in the master stateroom and salon though. I did think she was a very nice boat in above average condition and we did make an offer on her which was not countered, so we looked elsewhere.

The big unknown is how she will be in a sea with so much weight removed from the engine rooms. There have been two threads about this in the past few years and I linked to them in another thread in the past month or so.

Michael, a PM is inbound to you.

Thanks

Re: Hatteras 61 Cockpit Motor Yacht with Cummins engines?

I think there's a difference between (on the one hand) running a planing hull design at low speeds to save money on fuel, which is understandable and (on the other) knowingly buying a boat which will never go fast because of its hull design, and which is powered accordingly.

It isn't just about engine size. No matter how much power you stuff in an LRC, it will not go any appreciable amount faster than it's designed hull speed- perhaps a knot or two, but that's it. It's not designed to. But you can make , for example, a 53MY go a LOT faster by putting in lighter and stronger engines- many people have done it. Some of those boats have been mentioned here on this forum.

We haven't talked a lot about how much taking weight out of a boat affects its handling and roll resistance, but it can be significant. For example, there was a Chris-Craft 57 Constellation locally here, years ago, which the owner had repowered with Cummins 450Cs, replacing the Detroits (I thini 8-71s) it had originally had. After the repower, the boat failed its stability testing, and the owner had to pour hundreds (at least) of pounds of lead into the areas under the engines to bring the weight back up. This was a charter boat with a huge bridge where the owner used to invite people to hang out, so the danger of capsizing was quite real. They finally did get the boat through its inspection, but I would never want to leave the dock on that boat, ever.

Witha boat like a 53 MY, Hatteras built in the option to go slowly- as well as the option to go faster if you need to. If I were repowering a boat of that kind, I'd think about engine room weight first, not last, and I think I'd look for engine by weight first, not by hp. Or I'd get a naval architect to make suggestions about what engines to install. But I would not want to come out of a very expensive and time-consuming repower only to find that my boat had become so tender that it wasn't safe or comfortable.