Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Looking for a "Palm Beach" condition yacht fish or classic 48-58

Probably at or near the asking price, too. Well, find another one. And she has all the goodies you'd want, too.

I was talking to a broker friend of mine in Marina Del Ray on Tuesday and he, like SeaEric, says the market is strong for good used boats. I would have thought with the economy being in a nose dive it would be the opposite, but he said people would rather invest in used boats right now than new boats. I've read that about the new car and used car markets also.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Quote Originally Posted by Byresch View Post
    I was talking to a broker friend of mine in Marina Del Ray on Tuesday and he, like SeaEric, says the market is strong for good used boats. I would have thought with the economy being in a nose dive it would be the opposite, but he said people would rather invest in used boats right now than new boats. I've read that about the new car and used car markets also.
    The same for real estate, seems upside down right? Looking in Hilton Head and it is at an all time high. Not a great time to buy, and you would think there is a shoe about to drop. Did you watch the full press conference today? If any of it is true, we are nothing short of a huge banana republic. Bananas Foster anyone? Anyway, we went to the boat show and looked at a 61 Outer Reef, 68 Serenity Cheoy Lee, a couple of 74 Hatteras etc. But I still like the older classic 53 Hatteras. I guess it's that nostalgic thing trying to recapture youth in some way. This boat looks interesting, but not sure about old engines, and looks like it might not have the isinglass, etc with small flybridge. Pictures of the interior sure are good however. The interior of our house looked like a boat (Alfred Browning Parker), with this type of paneling. We miss it. Someone left a light on while we were in Italy and it caught fire in 17. But this is why we might be boating.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...yacht-3667197/
    Attached Images

https://youtu.be/du1haXwrg74

I really like this classic Hatteras. I would have another 100k in it by the time it was ready if you added thrusters, flybridge enclosures, etc. And you would still have the old engines, although we are told they can run forever. And I would l'd have to wait until May to even be able to get it out. But that also is the reason you buy a Great Lakes boat. Four or five months, then they are put up and no salt. But look at the interior. Pure class. Even has a headliner in the aft area deck. Broker says someone on here saw this boat recently, if so please chime in. I am looking for something like this. I hear the folks in MI are shut down again.

I was aboard STARFIRE a couple of years ago ,she looks even better in person .

Quote Originally Posted by ADOPO View Post

I really like this classic Hatteras. I would have another 100k in it by the time it was ready if you added thrusters, flybridge enclosures, etc. And you would still have the old engines, although we are told they can run forever. And I would l'd have to wait until May to even be able to get it out. But that also is the reason you buy a Great Lakes boat. Four or five months, then they are put up and no salt. But look at the interior. Pure class. Even has a headliner in the aft area deck. Broker says someone on here saw this boat recently, if so please chime in. I am looking for something like this. I hear the folks in MI are shut down again.
    I think you need to run the boat first before spending money on items that you may not need/want. IMO, you don't need a thruster and with a lower helm, you don't need an enclosure up top. You'll be surprised after running the boat for a year or two that what you initially thought you needed is not really that important after all.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by ADOPO View Post

I have been on Adventurous a couple time, she is beautiful. In fact I had an offer in and unfortunately for me I could not get financing. If you want a fine Hatteras call the owner Tom Jones. If you don't it might be my boat come spring!

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I think you need to run the boat first before spending money on items that you may not need/want. IMO, you don't need a thruster and with a lower helm, you don't need an enclosure up top. You'll be surprised after running the boat for a year or two that what you initially thought you needed is not really that important after all.
    I agree with Sky. And I can't count the number of times I've bought a vintage car, wrote a list of the things I thought it would need and the order in which to do them- and ended up doing something entirely different. Buy a serviceable boat, make sure it's safe, and run it for a while and THEN you'll know what you need as opposed to what you thought you needed.

I don't understand yet why with twin screws people feel the need to have thrusters on these boats, I can see on large yachts and single screws. I've always docked twin screwed boats with no problems. Am I just that old?
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Cruisers who come through coastal GA when the tide is running, and have thrusters, make for some interesting viewing. The thrusters can be overpowered by the current, and the perplexed captain who paid for them has a tough day. We don't have them, and a clean bottom and props makes a huge difference on maneuvering. Just buy them when you can't live without them, or your Admiral requires a boat sale without them.
    my $0.02.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750