Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lrc 42

Lrc 42

Its on my radar. Looking for owners experiences with this boat.

2. Re: Lrc 42

When my wife and I starting looking for a retirement/traveling boat we were looking at the 48LRC. We couldn’t find one that met our criteria in a price range that worked for us. That’s when we decided to look at the 42LRC MKII. The 42 has worked great for us we bought this boat about 6 months before I retired and the day after I retired we left the dock and traveled/lived on the boat for the next 5 years. The 42 turned out to be a great size boat for the traveling we did. The forward stateroom with separate head is great if guests are aboard.
    We have traveled mostly just South for the winter and North for the summer and river trips. Island trips did not pan out as my wife gets sea sick and her comfort was more important than open water travels for us.
    The great part of the Hatteras boats is the fine construction when they were built and the availability of parts still.
    My advise is to buy the nicest one you can find and go from there.
    Beachcomber
    Former 3 Hat owner
    Home port Paducah, KY

Re: Lrc 42

The 42 LRCs are great boats. We owned hull number 1 of the MarkII for 8 years. Up and down the east coast several times. We bought it in the Virgin Islands and used it there fir the first year. Eventually my boat disease won out and we bought a 58 LRC.
    Several observations.
    The 42s with stabilizers are very very good sea boats. Without they roll too much for my wife. We did several thousand miles with broken stabilizers and were happy when they were fixed, despite the high cost.

Join the Hatter LRC Club. Hatteraslrc.com. That's how I found both my boats. it's a good group now making up most of my closest friends. $75 to join, $35 per year dues. About 1/2 the boats built are in the club. They only made 56 42 LRCs, I went to a club rendezvous while we were looking and obtained info on the virgin Island 42 which we bought a few months later.

Look for the one in the best shape you can. Detroit 4-53s are loud but very reliable for thousands of hours.

Recap, Great boats, must have stabilizers. Join the club. Your on the right path. Good luck.

Skooch 58 LRC 1976
    Beaufort NC

Thank you for the comments - that is very helpful! A friend of mine has a Motor Yacht and loves it. For me, the 42 LRC seems to check most of the boxes, although I am a little concerned with the seemingly exposed props and rudders.

I have been looking at the Mk 1 vs 2 and I'm wondering if the 1 may be more friendly to single hand because of the deck and door arrangement. Any insight here is appreciated.

The Mark 1s it's the same hull so basically same boat. They changed the galley layout, aft cabin extended out for queen bed and the fuel tank set up with side tanks rather than bilge tanks on mark 1. Bilge tanks are better for seakeeping.
    Skooch

Sorry didn't answer your question, it may help cause the mark 1 has the walk around. The difference being a few steps to get aft.
    Skooch