Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Hatteras closing!!

Couple of things. From what I know the VC pretty much got rid of most of the long time people at Hatteras.
    I know a few of the principles at the VC group here in Philly.
    In the beginning one of them that's a boater, but Hatteras was not his deal/area, suggested getting a few local Hatteras owners together to learn what's what.
    Unfortunately they had no interest at all.

Think I posted about this back then, on the sportfish/convertable side Hatteras's problem is Viking. They needed to find a way, at minimum, to match Viking's service and dealer network.
    The Healy's live their brand everyday in all ways while the VC people sit in an office tower next to the train station in Philly.

What's really sucks is the current Hatteras GT's are probably a better boat (it's close) than the Vikings, the VC got the product right but is/was unable to sell it.
    Somehow they needed to be able to sell them for maybe 20% less which would have put boats on the water for others to see, etc.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

This doesn't help...

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...ays-order.html

Also, that is less than two years to build a 98 footer?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

You can't blame the guy. If you hear the closure rumors, you've probably scared that you'll end up paying for 3/4 of a boat and get 1/3 of one. Best get out now especially when the contract allows for it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Talking with a friend who is a dealer, they dropped Hatteras over a year ago due to lack of sales. The sportfishing boats just did not sell mostly due to serious competition from Viking. Apparently the 72 motoryacht was selling well but the rest of the product line was stale and instead of taking feedback from current owners and making changes to the product the way they used to do it, the designers were running the product development and that landed them were they are now.

I don't know any more than you guys do, but if it's true, it's sad.

Sam's is separate company from Hatteras, although closely affiliated.

Hope it isn't true.

Kind of ironic that they had to close a plant because of communist-19 when most of the workers are wearing protective gear incl masks ....
    Last edited by Pascal; 11-19-2020 at 09:55 AM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Kind of ironic that they had to close a plant because of COVID 19 when most of the workers are wearing protective gear incl masks ....
    You mean like when they shutdown elective surgeries?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Over the past 4-5 years I've been fortunate enough to attend 2 auctions at the Hatteras facility. Amazing deals! There were reps there from Sam's buying a lot of the stock. Maybe there will be one big final auction?

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    This is a shame.

I have always thought that the new generation of Panaceas, well made as they are, never added to the Hatteras motor yacht heritage. They are too large and too expensive for a recreational boater. To me they seemed suitable for non boating city dwelling owners who needed crew. The private equity guys that bought the business made boats that they themselves might use. This was probably not a good business plan. The profit per unit in building a big boat might be greater but you have to sell lots of them.

The recreational boater in the 40-70 MY category was ignored.

It is no wonder there is such a vibrant second hand market for Hatteras motor yachts and flybridge cruisers.

Lets hope for a businessman who likes boats to buy it. Riviera Australia was saved by the same. Palm Beach's production lines are full. Build products that people want.
    Agree!

So what’s everyone’s guess as to how much it would take to buy Hatteras? Who better to keep it going than a bunch of Hatteras owners?
    Blue Crab
    1979 53' Yachtfish Hull# 331