Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Hatteras closing!!

Word on the street here in New Bern is that Hatteras is gone!

Re: Hatteras closing!!

You mean layoffs? Are the people talking workers from Hatteras, or is it a healthy rumor mill?
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Let's hope this is just a slow down. Its hard to believe that a private equity group would just shut it down. Usually they look to sell and it sure seems more marketable as a going concern.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I assume this means Hatteras is for sale or could be bought from bankruptcy.

Asking for a friend, if one were to buy Hatteras, what would you do to make the company successful?

Bruce
    Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    I assume this means Hatteras is for sale or could be bought from bankruptcy.

Asking for a friend, if one were to buy Hatteras, what would you do to make the company successful?
    As a disclaimer, I know nothing of the internal workings/struggles at Hatteras, just a general takeover/buyout plan.

Focus on delivering a quality product in a timely manner. Only build what is profitable to the company, trim fat from the product and option offerings. Trim some personnel fat, retain quality and valuable employees.

I have talked with several people over the last few years that were buying/building new sportfish boats in the 70-90' range. All of them passed on Hatteras for multiple reasons but the most repeated was the time to delivery. Seems like 5yrs was the average wait time they were given. While viking was quoting a 2 year delivery schedule. Although it does seem like most vikings that come out of the factory spend a considerable amount of time (a year or two) at one of the viking service centers getting all the loose ends tied up.

I'm not sure if it really takes an extra 3 years to build a hatt over a viking but it could be more of a production/facility/personnel issue. If they are closing the doors it doesn't sound like a demand issue? I do know this, if you are quoting 5 years and all your competitors are quoting 2 years you are doing something wrong that will cost you a LOT of sales. Several of the guys I know who went viking said their preference was hatt but b/c of the wait time they didn't really have a choice.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

I'd sure hate to be someone that has one on order.....

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Let's hope this is just a slow down. Its hard to believe that a private equity group would just shut it down. Usually they look to sell and it sure seems more marketable as a going concern.
    Sell it to who? With heavy handed lockdowns being predicted and the economy depending on Monopoly money stick a fork in us we’re done.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Sell it to who? With heavy handed lockdowns being predicted and the economy depending on Monopoly money stick a fork in us we’re done.
    Cheer up, man! You could be driving a dugout canoe in South Sudan.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I hear that they had a buyer and it fell through. Supposedly will to close by year end.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Cheer up, man! You could be driving a dugout canoe in South Sudan.
    Soon.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present