Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Door trim.

Door trim.

Since I have been unable to locate doors I am proceeding with my own fabrication.

I have the base door in place and hinged, as well as the original style catch. (The "handle" is temporary. I have matching handles for the doors when it's done) The whole thing opens to allow garbage cans etc to go in and out. When closed it is supposed to look like the sink cabinet. I have Afromosia veneered 1/4" which with another 1/4" luan will go on top of the 3/4" to make the panels at almost the right reveal. (I need 3/8" but that's proving tough to do). The sapele pieces will make it look like the usual framing.

The hardest part is turning out to be the trim. I have been unable to locate it. Custom mill shops are not returning my calls. The woodcraft shop has 1000 router/shaper bits but nothing just like it. The closest I am coming is to cut on the 45 then run it over a 1/2 round bit (1" radius) and then cut in the rabbit, and then round over the two edges by hand..... Complex and hard to get consistent.

I have not tried ordering a custom router bit yet.... Anyone have experience/recommendations with that?

(Sorry about the picture quality.... they seem to lose all definition when I upload them.....)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by oscarvan; 11-15-2020 at 10:16 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Door trim.

It's rare to see carpeting in a galley. I think you're on the right track with the trim.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    It's rare to see carpeting in a galley. I think you're on the right track with the trim.
    It's a standard sized rug, with a standard runner between the engine rooms and a standard door rug under the table. Matching set, $50 or so on Amazon. Easier on the feet and back. Replace when dirty, every two years or so, which counts as a decor refresh. We do the same thing at home. BTW I may be able to fenagle you a pineapple.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 11-15-2020 at 03:38 PM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    BTW I may be able to fenagle you a pineapple.
    That's very kind of you, but I found one like I was looking for on ebay, and a wonderful customer of mine saw that thread here and handed me another one as a gift..
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    That's very kind of you, but I found one like I was looking for on ebay, and a wonderful customer of mine saw that thread here and handed me another one as a gift..
    Cool! Pineapples all around!
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

forget the router bit. find a shop with a CNC router and they can reproduce that trim fairly easily. I assume you are talking about the trim Hatteras used around the perimeter to cover the plywood edge .

Quote Originally Posted by harnett View Post
    forget the router bit. find a shop with a CNC router and they can reproduce that trim fairly easily. I assume you are talking about the trim Hatteras used around the perimeter to cover the plywood edge .
    Yep. But you're too late.... Bought the tools. Never a waste though.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Again, the objective is one big door that looks like the drawer front and doors under the sink. Above I made the actual door, with mahogany pieces that will look like they are the frame when the door is closed. On the original cabinets the 3/4" plywood doors are half in and half out of the door frame, ie they stand 3/8" proud. The trim is rabbeted to cover the gap and provide a stopping surface. So on my door I needed to build up the panels to get the same effect. The Afromosia plywood is 1/4", I was unable to locate 1/8" sheet wood to get to 3/8", so I used 1/4" Luan and the relief is now 1/2". I will make the rabbit on the trim 1/16" deeper and then it will stand an extra 1/16" proud.... something tells me only one who knows will notice.

Laying up the Luan and the Afromosia. Note the "seam" between the two doors. The Luan under it painted black, and I have two original handles so it will look like there's two doors. Now the trim....
    Attached Images
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

This is as close as I am going to get..... I think it will do.
    Attached Images
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Looks close. No one will know the difference.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI