Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flybridge removal, 1972 43DC

Well, I finally got it done, removed the bridge from our 43DC.

I just really prefer the lower station for a variety of reasons, and in our area the extra height gain is worth the work of removing it.

Plus I will get to replace all of the gauges, and control cables, etc.

This could have been a hard job, but honestly I was amazed out how easily separated from the hard top the bridge was.

IMG_7929-2.jpg

IMG_7930-2.jpg
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Re: Flybridge removal, 1972 43DC

I like the looks for of the flat top.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Much better in my opinion.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Huge improvement! IMHO yours is now the perfect 43 DC. Twins aft, unmolsted mozambique interior, 671N's and NO FLYBRIDGE.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

That's the first time I've seen that done - Thank You for sharing! I think everybody agrees a 43 DC looks better without the FB. I rarely use mine, but I do really like it for night time operation or when I just want to get away from the crowd below. The kids (and myself) love jumping off boat from up there too when anchored.

You know the 53MY looks really sharp too without the FB. In my weekly ebay searches for treasure, I saw this 53MY without a FB and was really impressed how much better it looks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Hatter...cAAOSwpd9fquzh
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

Looks great . I have seen a 53 in Key Largo without a fly bridge. Very good looking , lines much like the east bays and Sabres. That said , I always run our boat from the fly bridge and would be nervous using the lower helm exclusively.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

I did see lots of posts mentioning removing the bridge, but it didn't seem as though anyone actually did it.

My previous boat was a Trojan F-32 and the flybridge was the place that I always ran it from, the lower helm was terrible. IMO, on this boat, it is the opposite, and I didn't take to the flybridge.

We boat mostly on the upper part of the Hudson River in NY, and navigate the locks a fair amount.

Without access to help with line handling and things, it would be tough for us. All of these locks and floating docks up here are harder to navigate than places that predominately have pilings and fixed docks, I think.

BTW we are keeping the access hatch for sure, and re-engineering the ladder so that it will fold up to the ceiling.
    Last edited by brettportzer; 11-13-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Regarding the ladder, you may want to consider a telescopic ladder as easier alternative. It's what I have been using for years after I removed the stock one. I was going to do fold up to ceiling as well, but felt I or my guests may hit their heads on it when up. I keep it folded up next to lower helm when not in use, does not get in the way.

https://www.amazon.com/WolfWise-Alum...54564644&psc=1
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

Quote Originally Posted by sgharford View Post
    Regarding the ladder, you may want to consider a telescopic ladder as easier alternative. It's what I have been using for years after I removed the stock one. I was going to do fold up to ceiling as well, but felt I or my guests may hit their heads on it when up. I keep it folded up next to lower helm when not in use, does not get in the way.

https://www.amazon.com/WolfWise-Alum...54564644&psc=1
    Yea, that may be a possibility as well. Thanks for the link!

I think both of these boats, teh 43 and 53, were designed without the flying bridge. I agree that both look better without it. I suspect removing all that weight high above the roll center makes the boat more stable, as well, although I don't think Hatteras would have built a boat that was excessively tender.