Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Looking for advise, 53, 58 and 70 footer

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    I would be very interested to see photos of how the extension was done please.
    OK - I will get a few together - next week - have to digitize them as we did that extension back in '87. We did it with what was known as the West System (not to be confused with the resin manufacturer)...formed it from fibreglass sheets that were cut and fit into place and glass built up from the inside. We created a very basic form using 1 x 4 spruce to create the contour of the hull drawing it back creating a longer hull based on the natural contour of the hull becoming narrower in beam as you extend the hull and also maintained the convex shape of the original transom. It was an interesting process and the result has been admired by many!

I'll get some pictures together as soon as I can.

Scott; you have an extended 61MY - now a 70CPMY? - Interesting

Michael
    Last edited by CanadianBoater; 11-29-2020 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Considering there are a couple of extended 53 on the market for less than $200,000 and we got a quote of $150,000 to add an extension to ours, which we did not do, I think it makes a lot more sense to either buy one that is already done or by a 58 yachtfish. The advantage to an added cockpit on a 53 is you still retain the full size of the aft deck. John
    Financially it does make more sense to buy one already done or buy a 58 yes.
    If one was to do an extension it makes more sense if you're in need of or about to do a complete hull repaint. Then you can amortize the painting cost on the need of a repaint.

From what I know, and I may be wrong, is if your boat is painted with Imron or Alexseal you can fair in the paint on an extension, or any spot repair required, topside or hull, without having to repaint everything. Apparently Awlgrip is not as ideal a paint...unfortunately most Hatteras's seem to have been originally painted with Awlgrip.
    We used Imron when we did a complete hull paint at the time of the extension and therefore anytime I needed to do any repairs or mods it was much easier. I did become somewhat of a self taught expert in glass work and HVLP spray techniques and subsequently did my own work on other repairs and painting on the boat on the years to follow. (For the extension we did, we did hire a very knowledgable fibreglass guy who was actually building truck caps at the time - we used the correct fibreglass cloth, resins and fairing pastes for the job - he did such good work I eventually had him build me the fibreglass swim platform you see in the picture to replace the original teak one).

I will add that before we embarked on the extension we did research the process some, talking to some of the yards in South Florida that had done some and also engaged a naval architect (Steve Killing) to provide some advice on the design and issues we'd encounter - a conversation with him was a good investment for advice only...no drawings...he simply said "follow all the lines of the boat back to the length you want and add ballast..you'll be fine".

As for the cost, if you were to find a qualified fibreglass guy who knows how to build or mold fibreglass parts, and a yard that allows you to bring in your own team and do some DIY, you could do the extension itself for probably under $75,000 and do it in an off season complete (5-6 months), (with some good preplanning of course)...if you're willing to do some of the work and research. You unfortunately have to open up parts of your aft stateroom and be prepared for some cleaning up along the way. That cost could include stainless tanks for additional fuel, water and holding tanks which become the additional ballast you need with an extension due to additional bouyancy. Trimming out the boat with the additional bouyancy was not a big issue at all.

Such a project is not for the faint of heart - unless you get one of the yards to do the work and I know there are a few that are very good at it but - it will of course, cost you.
    Last edited by CanadianBoater; 11-29-2020 at 08:44 AM.

Hatteras never used Awlgrip. Imron from the mid 70's through early 90's, then Alexseal.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I couldn’t resist taking a look at Starfire, and it’s been sold, according to the brokerage. Looks nice though.

EDIT **** Apparently, this might not be sold. I looked up the boat and found the HMY listing that stated it sold.
    But, it is listed on YachtWorld.

Apologies.
    Last edited by Finnley; 11-29-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Hatteras never used Awlgrip. Imron from the mid 70's through early 90's, then Alexseal.
    OK - you would know better than I would. Every time I saw a listing for a Hatteras they would describe a recent paint job as recent Awlgrip paint and i was sure that was to match the factory paint. Good to hear they were Imron and now Alexseal!

M

Michael, our boat was extended by the first owner about 1987 or 1988 and used extensively out in the Caribbean. There is a 500 gallon fuel tank under the cockpit floor which I've never filled. The actual structure is very solid and its never going to fall apart. There are two huge wooden beams fibreglassed into the inner sides of the extension and continuing along the inner side of the owner's stateroom. Two access hatches allow storage at the front of the cockpit and you can actually view the entire 61MY original transom, Bomar escape hatch and original boat name.

Although well made overall, the actual finishing of the out of sight areas is pretty rough. Its a pity the yard that did the work did not spend a couple of days to make it all look pretty.

With regards to performance and steering based on a 48 hour delivery voyage at 875RPM and 8.5 knots, the total fuel consumption was 8 US gallons an hour. It seems to steer straight and I've been in some bad tempered seas. The new stabilisers combined with autopilot are great. I have never been on another Hatteras so I can't compare sea handling characteristics.

My next trip to the US will include a visit to San Diego to visit Capt' & Mrs Scarlett and hopefully a run to Catalina Island which is on my bucket list. I'll be able to compare handling then.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 12-02-2020 at 06:57 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

902CE1B3-2A64-4CFD-B33A-04FC7EE0B224.jpg This is a photo of a 45’ Hatteras that was stretched 6’. Photo was taken before the molds were built and lined with Masonite. The glass was built up over a 12/1 scarf into the original sides. The stringers were lengthened and tied into the original transom. The running gear was repositioned and stub shafts were replaced with 1 piece monel shafts. Polyester resin was used since this was done in the 70’s before much was known about secondary bonding. Never had a minutes trouble with the glasswork.
    Attached Images

Scott, you are welcome anytime, and yes I love any excuse to go to Catalina. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by dsharp View Post
    Attachment 45419 This is a photo of a 45’ Hatteras that was stretched 6’. Photo was taken before the molds were built and lined with Masonite. The glass was built up over a 12/1 scarf into the original sides. The stringers were lengthened and tied into the original transom. The running gear was repositioned and stub shafts were replaced with 1 piece monel shafts. Polyester resin was used since this was done in the 70’s before much was known about secondary bonding. Never had a minutes trouble with the glasswork.
    Nice to see photos of other extensions...done right! Thanks for posting. I'm going to find the photos of when we did ours and will post some soon.

I would not fear the extended boats as long as you know who did the extension. I have a 65 with a 9 foot cockpit extension. Running gear is in original location. Hatt of Lauderdale did it for the original owner. Provides extra fuel and storage. I recently removed the generator that was back there and have had no handling issues. I run the inlets on the East Coast with ease and dont have any issues. The only negative is that they butchered the Master SR and put in stairs to the cockpit that creates a ton of dead space, but that’s fixable with time and money. May want to look at “Cherokee” if she is still for sale, sister ship with nearly the same modifications. Feel free to check out my boats FB page and friend her: Nauti_LottieEnjoy your search!