Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Looking for advise, 53, 58 and 70 footer

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Good point, I don't know how you can find out if it has issues though?
    There are many used Hatteras for sale. Find one you like that is original/not modified is the best way.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Many times the extended hulls don't perform well. It depends on if the running gear was extended or not and what the extended length does to the fore/aft buoyancy. I would not consider one without some serious investigation into the who did the work.
    If you buy an extended boat (and I'm one of the folks who think you ought not to do that) you would at least want to look at the receipts for the work extending it, as well as getting a VERY stiff survey, and also getting a pro captain on it during the seatrial to see how much the extension has affected its handling. I find it hard to believe that any boat is made BETTER by an extension of the hull- I think the best you could hope for is that they didn't screw it all up. Overall, I'd find one that hasn't been messed with that way, and has been kept up in all other ways.

In other words, call the company that has listed "Starfire" and see if she's still for sale. Fingers crossed for you.

I was the previous owner of starfire. I hated to part with her but my wife had back surgery and could know longer go up stairs. It was the best 53 I could find. I looked for years. She was perfect when I sold her.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hatt View Post
    I was the previous owner of starfire. I hated to part with her but my wife had back surgery and could know longer go up stairs. It was the best 53 I could find. I looked for years. She was perfect when I sold her.
    Sorry to hear you had to sell her. You have great taste and my hat is off to you for how you kept that boat...you're deserving of recognition of what a great Hatteras owner resembles. Best to you and your wife. Happy to see you're still active on here and hope you get back on the water somehow...it's the lifeblood that keeps some of us going!

Michael
    Last edited by CanadianBoater; 11-28-2020 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    If you buy an extended boat (and I'm one of the folks who think you ought not to do that) you would at least want to look at the receipts for the work extending it, as well as getting a VERY stiff survey, and also getting a pro captain on it during the seatrial to see how much the extension has affected its handling. I find it hard to believe that any boat is made BETTER by an extension of the hull- I think the best you could hope for is that they didn't screw it all up. Overall, I'd find one that hasn't been messed with that way, and has been kept up in all other ways.

In other words, call the company that has listed "Starfire" and see if she's still for sale. Fingers crossed for you.
    To add to this comment I must say that properly done extensions can definitely "add" to some boats that are say strictly a motor yacht style that end at an abrupt transom. I have experience in extensions and have added 8' to an original 47 motor yacht. Properly done, you can achieve more bottom running length, some additional speed, more fuel, water, fender storage and, holding tank capacity! More open access to the water definitely added to the enjoyment of the boat. The cockpit became the most enjoyed and used place on the boat. Therefore any good classic 53 Hatteras can be extended to achieve the style, look and added benefit of a 58 YF! Yes it costs but can be so well worth the
    effort...

I will add that you do not have to extend the running gear. We experienced no disadvantage in not extending it.
    The keys are to not make it look like an extension but rather make it look like it was part of the original model. Hence extending a 53 to a 58 does not look unnatural. Keys are to design the transom properly keeping all elements of the original and do not introduce new angles. Use good materials such as epoxy for fairing and make sure the stringers are properly extended...

A properly done cockpit extension can add to the enjoyment of the boat and is great for dock handling, water access and in many cases makes the boat have a more balanced appearance. Properly done, I highly recommend cockpit extensions to any motor yacht that may have had a model offered with factory cockpit...and yes, there are boats that will benefit with a well designed extension even if not originally offered that way.

Just my $.02

Michael
    Last edited by CanadianBoater; 11-28-2020 at 09:33 AM.

Considering there are a couple of extended 53 on the market for less than $200,000 and we got a quote of $150,000 to add an extension to ours, which we did not do, I think it makes a lot more sense to either buy one that is already done or by a 58 yachtfish. The advantage to an added cockpit on a 53 is you still retain the full size of the aft deck. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hatt View Post
    I was on board before you purchased STARFIRE ,it is a great boat ! GLWS, regards . Edward

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBoater View Post
    To add to this comment I must say that properly done extensions can definitely "add" to some boats that are say strictly a motor yacht style that end at an abrupt transom. I have experience in extensions and have added 8' to an original 47 motor yacht. Properly done, you can achieve more bottom running length, some additional speed, more fuel, water, fender storage and, holding tank capacity! More open access to the water definitely added to the enjoyment of the boat. The cockpit became the most enjoyed and used place on the boat. Therefore any good classic 53 Hatteras can be extended to achieve the style, look and added benefit of a 58 YF! Yes it costs but can be so well worth the
    effort...

I will add that you do not have to extend the running gear. We experienced no disadvantage in not extending it.
    The keys are to not make it look like an extension but rather make it look like it was part of the original model. Hence extending a 53 to a 58 does not look unnatural. Keys are to design the transom properly keeping all elements of the original and do not introduce new angles. Use good materials such as epoxy for fairing and make sure the stringers are properly extended...

A properly done cockpit extension can add to the enjoyment of the boat and is great for dock handling, water access and in many cases makes the boat have a more balanced appearance. Properly done, I highly recommend cockpit extensions to any motor yacht that may have had a model offered with factory cockpit...and yes, there are boats that will benefit with a well designed extension even if not originally offered that way.

Just my $.02

Michael
    I would think that if you never get out of the ICW, then the running gear probably does not need to be extended. If you're running an inlet in a following sea, you might change your mind.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I would think that if you never get out of the ICW, then the running gear probably does not need to be extended. If you're running an inlet in a following sea, you might change your mind.
    Never mind the ICW...ever run on Lake Erie in 30 knot wind? The swells can run 6-8' easily and not much distance trough to trough...no problem with a following sea. Also run Delaware Bay from the Canal to Cape May...with NE at 20 knots, tide running out, add to that the confused waves from the ship traffic...I don't know how big the swells, waves were from crest to crest but it was one hell of a ride...the boat handled fine. But one heck of day at the helm...kissed the planks when we got into Cape May. As usual...the boat can always take more than the crew.
    We were fortunate enough to also have stabilizers at the time.
    Running gear can be extended for the additional expense but either way, a decent cockpit extension adds to the boat if done right...

Yes; the easiest thing if you want a 58YF is to buy one however - there aren't very many nice ones around. Taking a nice 53MY of which there are more of them...and adding 5' from the existing transom would provide one with a very nice aft deck and an awesome custom cockpit...can be done!

If anyone is interested in pictures of how we did the one pictured below - I'd be happy to share more info.

Imagine taking a 53ED, and adding a 5' cockpit extension?
    Would be an interesting boat...and would still look like a Hatteras!
    Food for thought for someone willing to push the envelope some...
    You won't get your investment back no but it makes all the sense in the world if you're planning on keeping the boat for some time...as we all know - the memories and pleasure of boating are priceless.

There is nothing about owing a boat that makes any financial sense anyway - so what the heck - follow your desires and damn the money!

I'll leave it at that.

Michael

8 FT Cockpit Extension.jpg

Am in the process of buying a Hatteras that has had an extension done - so I can join the rest of you, in the Club!
    Last edited by CanadianBoater; 11-28-2020 at 10:54 PM.

I would be very interested to see photos of how the extension was done please.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.