Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Looking for advise, 53, 58 and 70 footer

So I have been skulking around in here since spring when me and the Admiral decided we wanted a larger boat to "possibly" live on during the summer months here in Michigan. After a few months of looking at cheaper and smaller boats we easily settled on Hatteras as the most desirable boat for us. We also are experienced "boat creep" LOL. It seems that you can get a nice 53, 58 or even 70 footer for nearly the same price. We found 3 really nice 53's local to our area that we really like with one standing out that we did put an offer in on but were not able to secure the financing at the time. (need more down payment). Since then we found a real nice 58 MY that is local and beautifully restored that could be had for the same price as the 53. There is also a 70 in Arkansas that actually "looks" more updated and has a cockpit as well (it's a 61 extended to 70)

Just curious if any of you could offer advice on what you would choose and why. Big open ended question I know But hey I just thought this would be the place to ask!

Any input would be much appreciated!

Re: Looking for advise, 53, 58 and 70 footer

The longer it is the more it will cost to upkeep. Even doing things yourself it still takes more time and energy on a bigger boat. If you have the pockets or skills or both to take care of the bigger ones I would go that way, all else being equal.

The 70 looks really nice, I don't like the fact that they don't list the hours of the engines so I be sure to do an engine survey. I looks like they have replaced the gen sets though.

I do like the wider beam for a smoother ride that the 15'10" beam boats. If you are going to liveaboard you will be glad for every inch of room you can get, I lived on a 48 foot Roamer for 10 years and a 42 foot sailboat for 5 years so I know what I am talking about. You never have enough storage either. You and the Admiral will appreciate the extra room of the 70.

If it was me and I was looking for the boat for the purpose you are I'd go for the 70,
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Another boat I would consider is a 61 or 63, there are some pretty well priced examples available. Agree on the 18’ beam being more livable. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

A couple of 67 foot CPMY are also for sale .

If you plan to use the boat mainly on the Great Lakes then anything under 60' is best. The longer and wider the boat, the more limitations on finding slips or haul out facilities.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

As others have already mentioned, beam is important. A foot of beam equals 4 or 5 feet of LOA...

Don’t overlook the 56, great boat thanks to its wider beam

Personally I m not a fan of the 58MY because of the lack of side decks and a small poorly ventilated aft deck. Maybe not a concern up north. The problem with the lack of side deck isn’t line handling but having to go thru the boat and the bottle neck you get by the galley if you have more than 3 people on board.

Maintenance costs won’t be much different depending on the exact models as these boats will all have the same systems (except those with V12 DD). For instance Rebuilding a generator or steering pump will be the same cost on a 53 or a 71... The only difference will be dockage, haul out bottom paint and monthly driver visits.

At most importantly make sure you can find dockage for the bigger boats in your area.

Finally depending on what boats you ve owned before, jumping to a 71 footer may be a problem insurance wise
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We have a 58MY. For how we use it, the layout is just about perfect. That being said, the biggest drawback would probably be the lack of side decks. We don't notice the aft deck being too hot due to lack of ventilation as we're in Iowa, but it does get hot at times during the summer months. We love the livability of the enclosed aft deck, and being separate from the salon. The lack of side decks is a serious PITA when docking, especially if you have a beam wind blowing you away from the dock. If you don't have someone on the dock to hand you a spring line, it's a bit of a challenge to try to hook a cleat and get a line back to a spring cleat. With pilings it wouldn't be an issue, but single handling it is very difficult with a floating dock on just one side with a beam wind & no pilings. Unless you want to store an anchor on the aft deck, the lack of side decks make deploying a stern anchor a challenge. Not impossible, but just like docking with a beam wind, you have to have a plan.

We were limited to a 15' 10" beam due to the width of the well for hauling out, but as others have said, the wider beam offers a good deal more room, especially in the engine rooms, as ours are a bit cramped with 8V92's. As Sky said, over 60' & the wider beam will definitely limit where you will be able to get dockage and get pulled. Plus the 15' 10" boats are more fuel efficient than the wider beams.... just ask Randy (he-he)

Hope that helps....

The other Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Byresch View Post
    The 70 looks really nice, I don't like the fact that they don't list the hours of the engines so I be sure to do an engine survey. I looks like they have replaced the gen sets though.

I do like the wider beam for a smoother ride that the 15'10" beam boats. If you are going to liveaboard you will be glad for every inch of room you can get, I lived on a 48 foot Roamer for 10 years and a 42 foot sailboat for 5 years so I know what I am talking about. You never have enough storage either. You and the Admiral will appreciate the extra room of the 70.

If it was me and I was looking for the boat for the purpose you are I'd go for the 70,
    I guess I am leaning that way too. These don't resell easily and whatever we buy might be the last we buy! The negative I guess is the fuel use if you open her up!

I talked with the owner, the engines were overhauled complete cranks turned and all, with 1750 hours after overhaul. so I am assuming with 12V71's they would outlive me... if all I am being told is fact and done right.
    Last edited by Bob Quinn; 11-12-2020 at 11:00 PM.

We have a 61MY with 9' cockpit extension courtesy of owner #1. Owner #3 put on a 6' swim platform.

With young kids, dogs, water sports and boat kept on a swing mooring, the cockpit and easy access is what we like best. We do not miss the walkaround and appreciate the wide salon.

Any of these boats are a great choice. We could never operate ours the way we do if it were in a marina pen. On a mooring its all single handed.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.