Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: $60k Hatteras 52C

Post some photos, for those of us who missed the CL posting.

Quote Originally Posted by VieEnRose View Post
    Nice! Congratulations! What is your plan? Where are you keeping the boat?
    Thank you. After the short list of things for the seller to finish, we're going to take her for a run and take it directly across the river from Cape Coral to my home in Fort Myers, just about a mile before the Sanibel Causeway.

I've spent more time getting my 50' floating dock ready for that beast than at the boat. My pedestal only has 2 30A plugs. Whatcha' think - change the pedestal to a 50A or buy one of those pigtails to plug into both 30As??

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Post some photos, for those of us who missed the CL posting.
    When I read this, I glanced at the 30 or so pics on my phone and realized all but 3 are of parts. Pumps, corroded switches, hydraulic lines for steering I just had made this morning, etc etc. In the next few days, I'll take a bunch of pics and start a new thread - welcoming input, advice, warnings, etc etc.

This is one of those deals where it has a top of the line electronics package and everything in the engine room is in pretty good shape. (32v system needs attention) The interior is decent as well. The core in the entire boat is great. 892s purr sweetly - NEW turbos, new exhaust. 20KW good. However, all the little things need attention, everywhere.

Every switch panel is rough, every switch is questionable....but when you look behind and under, it's fresh as a daisy. It's a 52C which was loved, but then neglected for a year or two because of an unfortunate tragedy in the owner's family. They were going through the boat to get ready to hit the Caribbean for a retirement adventure, but only got through the big stuff.

Anyway, pics and a thread are comin'. The helm pic tells the story. Underneath is a gorgeous, professional job done with a new electronics package. Yet, the wheel leaked when I pumped up the steering (replacing the little gaskets yesterday) and the switch panels are hideous:

20210207_140351.jpg20210207_140316.jpgResized_20210201_165103(1).jpg
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 02-08-2021 at 01:33 PM.

Look at this in the guest head. The entire boat is some kind of grounding nightmare. But there's plenty of zinc and the wire's all look pretty good.
    It must of gone through a stretch of heavy electrolysis.

20210207_141857.jpg Every original metal part looks like St Patty's Day.

Wow! Definitely some serious electrical issues going on.
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”

We looked at a boat, and saw lots of wires, rudder posts, switches like that. What causes that?

Quote Originally Posted by jap201 View Post
    We looked at a boat, and saw lots of wires, rudder posts, switches like that. What causes that?
    And only the stuff on 32V looks like that. The rudders and all in the back half look fine. But from midship forward the metal is all green. Hell, even the clip that keeps the head cabinet closed is kinda green...and it's not attached to nuffin'! The through-hull valve under the port head looks like the Grinch.

Any of the stuff on AC, the 24v windlass and the few 12v things all look like new.

I guess it happens when electricity is constantly leaking through metals on the boat and corrodes them. (I manage stock portfolios for a living - so, better input is warranted) But I've slithered through ever crevice of the boat and all the bonding looks pretty good. The zincs look good and corroding normally...although the guy said they're going pretty fast.

I can only assume, and hope, the boat's bonding was simply very bad long ago and these are old injuries. ??

I'm just going to take pics of every crappy panel and send them all to Sam's - put in news ones and go boating. The other more serious stuff, like that through-hull, I'll have to deal with when I have her hauled this summer.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 02-08-2021 at 08:15 PM.

Just a guess, but look for somewhere that the AC neutral and ground are connected on the boat, and that to the DC ground.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Just a guess, but look for somewhere that the AC neutral and ground are connected on the boat, and that to the DC ground.
    If it was at a private dock the house panel feeding the boat could have that. Many of these older Florida houses have the neutral and ground buss tied together. When I bought my house I put a 400A service in so I could have 100A branch circuit feeding the dock. We had to separate the neutrals and gound busses in the house 200a panel to prevent problems at the boat.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    I checked it out pretty well, but could certainly be missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    If it was at a private dock the house panel feeding the boat could have that. Many of these older Florida houses have the neutral and ground buss tied together. When I bought my house I put a 400A service in so I could have 100A branch circuit feeding the dock. We had to separate the neutrals and gound busses in the house 200a panel to prevent problems at the boat.
    Yes - old house with a new power pedestal. Plus, the guy added a new setup on a custom pedestal where he could plug the house into the boat, if the power's out, and run on the 52C's 20kw genny.

It's a cool set-up, but has all kinds of opportunities for grounding problems. I hope to bring the ol' girl home to my house this weekend. I have a separately grounded panel for my dock, lift and pool. That might fix everything.

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    I checked it out pretty well, but could certainly be missing something.

Yes - old house with a new power pedestal. Plus, the guy added a new setup on a custom pedestal where he could plug the house into the boat, if the power's out, and run on the 52C's 20kw genny.

It's a cool set-up, but has all kinds of opportunities for grounding problems. I hope to bring the ol' girl home to my house this weekend. I have a separately grounded panel for my dock, lift and pool. That might fix everything.
    I backfed the house from the boat generators in 2004 after hurricane Frances and Jeene tore up Vero Beach we were out of power for 3 weeks. I went through over 1000 gallons of diesel.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present