Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Re: $60k Hatteras 52C

You might want to look at isolation transformers- Bridgeport Magnetics, for example.

The corrosion on those switches is probably just a life on salt water . I doubt if you would see that on a fresh water boat . It happens just a little every day , not noticeable until it’s bad . You have to constantly treat these surfaces with something like corrosion block or T -bo . Good luck with your boat and congratulations. Don’t try to do too many projects at once . Keep the boat useable, and it will be more fun. Even if you have only one project , I can guarantee that another project will rear its head .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    You might want to look at isolation transformers- Bridgeport Magnetics, for example.
    I don't recall ever having one of those.
    I just read this and now wonder why I've never had one: https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice...tors-explained

I'm also wondering why every boat doesn't have one?? They're no money at all compared to what it's preventing. https://www.defender.com/product3.js...90032&id=52823
    258147.jpg This is what I'm here for - much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    The corrosion on those switches is probably just a life on salt water . I doubt if you would see that on a fresh water boat . It happens just a little every day , not noticeable until it’s bad . You have to constantly treat these surfaces with something like corrosion block or T -bo . Good luck with your boat and congratulations. Don’t try to do too many projects at once . Keep the boat useable, and it will be more fun. Even if you have only one project , I can guarantee that another project will rear its head .
    Yep, just old stuff that I'll replace over time. Since all the movement-related machinery seems decent, we should be able to use it. AND, it's topped-off with fuel. Even if the girls have to use a bucket, we're going out.

The steering hydraulic lines under the cockpit are trash and I'll replace all those this weekend - and finally bring it home.

A galvanic isolator and and isolation transformer are two different things. That 52C should have come originally equipped with isolation transformers.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    A galvanic isolator and and isolation transformer are two different things. That 52C should have come originally equipped with isolation transformers.
    I see. Isolation transformers also provide galvanic isolation. (I'm reading) But from a different source?

Anyway, I'll keep reading...

https://www.grainger.com/category/el...n-transformers