Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: How to remove transmission drive shaft coupling?

Great work and informative. Post more pics and progress of the seal replacement if possible. Did you get the replacements easily? Not to sound like a smart arse but you did already drain the oil in the gear I hope.

Thanks again
    Walt Hoover

Forum only allows posting of 3 pics per thread. Here are some more pics taken after removing drive gear coupling. One pic shows quad ring. Another pic attempts to show shaft without coupling. There was light corrosion on the shaft and coupling that caused seizing. Will probably attempt to clean shaft and couple surfaces with light emery cloth. Plan to order new seal and quad ring tomorrow. Will post pics of the new rings. Have found three different marine transmission sources in the States for parts. Believe these parts are common and available through other parts sources if not manufacturers as well.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Triskele; 11-22-2020 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Great work and informative. Post more pics and progress of the seal replacement if possible. Did you get the replacements easily? Not to sound like a smart arse but you did already drain the oil in the gear I hope.

Thanks again
    Walt Hoover
    Yes...drained oil before removing couple. Oil level in sump is above shaft. Must remove before removing couple. Plan to follow Capitol Gear instructions for cleaning transmission and replacing oil. Instructions can be found in manual on CG website. Since used a torch to heat the couple, purchased a fiberglass flame retardant welding cloth from Harbor Freight and placed in the bilge below the transmission and up to the sides after degreasing and cleaning the area. Can see cloth in previous photo.

Ensure the coupling seal face is smooth with no groove. Over time the oil seal can wear a groove.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Ensure the coupling seal face is smooth with no groove. Over time the oil seal can wear a groove.
    Okay. Thanks.

I have been trying to find the site for capitol gear and parts. I'm sure there was a place on gulf coast in Mississippi but all I get is the place in British Columbia. Part number search has not been helpful either.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover

I would do oil analysis on those cap gears on a reg basis if a fair amount of use, specially in high H.P boats, my friend had to rebuild one up here due to accelerating wear in the gears as warned by oil analysis, 15K Cdn bill and guy who did it was a pro, no time wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    I have been trying to find the site for capitol gear and parts. I'm sure there was a place on gulf coast in Mississippi but all I get is the place in British Columbia. Part number search has not been helpful either.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover
    Link to Capitol Gear was provided in an earlier post by Dan Mapes. Here's the link again. http://www.capitolmarinegear.com/manuals-part-lists

Yes, British Columbia is the location for Capitol Marine Gear. However, they won't ship parts from their. Need to contact a U.S based marine transmission shop to order parts. Am still working on it myself. Will post when I decide where I will source my parts. I only need a new oil seal and quad ring. I may just go direct with a manufacture like Timkin. I'll decide once I get the seal out. Still trying to figure that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Triskele View Post
    Link to Capitol Gear was provided in an earlier post by Dan Mapes. Here's the link again. http://www.capitolmarinegear.com/manuals-part-lists

Yes, British Columbia is the location for Capitol Marine Gear. However, they won't ship parts from their. Need to contact a U.S based marine transmission shop to order parts. Am still working on it myself. Will post when I decide where I will source my parts. I only need a new oil seal and quad ring. I may just go direct with a manufacture like Timkin. I'll decide once I get the seal out. Still trying to figure that one out.
    Try Johnson Diesel in Biloxi,MS.

Thanks, there was a place that used to show up on top with google a few years ago and now only this place in BC. They as yet have not seen it necessary to return my e mail with questions about part numbers.

Walt Hoover