Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Admiral woke me up....

And the boat did too, at the same time. ..(4am)... "Honey, what's that noise?" BOOM..... BOOOM! Like someone hitting the hull with a rubber mallot.... Now, we're tied up at a dock in a waterway with a ripping current at times, (Kent Narrows, MD) and in this case the wind AND the multi knot current were hitting us straight up the stern....... Suddenly I realized the trim tabs were down... I had forgotten to bring them up. (ex sailor not quite in the habit of doing that without thinking yet). Went upstairs, brought them up and it stopped..... Ironically the guests in the mid cabin never heard it.

Playing with boats.... such fun!
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Admiral woke me up....

When I saw the title, I thought you had gotten "Lucky"!
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by tomrealest View Post
    When I saw the title, I thought you had gotten "Lucky"!
    No, not that kind of banging.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I was on a 53' wide body and heard the same noise. We called a diver to inspect the trim tabs... huge stainless buggers, and one of the hinge brackets was broken. As the boat heaved in the swells and current, the loose trim tab bracket banged on the hull. Cheap fix in the water.. $300 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    I was on a 53' wide body and heard the same noise. We called a diver to inspect the trim tabs... huge stainless buggers, and one of the hinge brackets was broken. As the boat heaved in the swells and current, the loose trim tab bracket banged on the hull. Cheap fix in the water.. $300 or so.
    What is a 53 Wide Body? They're all 15'10". And they all have molded in trim tabs that are fiberglass.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    What is a 53 Wide Body? They're all 15'10". And they all have molded in trim tabs that are fiberglass.
    Sky, the 53 extended deckhouse I brought back from Florida definitely did not have fiberglass trim tabs. They were big stainless steel tabs. We hired a diver in Destin at Baytown Marina to repair it.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    No, not that kind of banging.
    Oscar, I am starting to wonder about the titles of your posts. One is "I am so screwed" this one is "The Admiral woke me up at 4 AM". They leave everyone wondering about what you and the admiral are up to. Do we have to have Jim, as moderator, talk to you about cleaning up your titles? I mean really there are Conservative, Christian readers on here. I myself don't mind but some of them might. LOL
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Quote Originally Posted by Byresch View Post
    Oscar, I am starting to wonder about the titles of your posts. One is "I am so screwed" this one is "The Admiral woke me up at 4 AM". They leave everyone wondering about what you and the admiral are up to. Do we have to have Jim, as moderator, talk to you about cleaning up your titles? I mean really there are Conservative, Christian readers on here. I myself don't mind but some of them might. LOL
    Jim has had a conversation with me. I will refrain from putting a heading on it.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Oscar the Grouch has been advised he will be stuffed back in the trash can if he doesn't clean it up.

I dont blame Oscar, he just baits us. The rest is just our weird mind set. I just hope he refrains from putting Woody Wax on his anchor chain, it will never hit the bottom!