Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Been lurking a while here, now made an offer on an old Hatt

Thanks for your thoughts. Indeed the spare parts prices for MAN engines are quite normal here as these MAN engines are also very common mid-sized industrial engines over here in Europe. For some reason MTU, which is Mercedes by the way, tends to be more expensive over here.

I donīt think that this Hatt will be one of the fastest of its kind as the enginess are slightly downrated I guess. Also the KoopNautic stabilizers add some drag.
    However, I wonīt expect to get considerably more than 20 kts out of that one which is ridiculously fast for that kind of boat anyway. Cruising with 8kts /850rpm or 12kts/1300rpm, occasionally going moderately fast with 15-16kts/1700-1900rpm just to prevent the turbos from becoming coal mines will do the trick for me.

Pascal: Actually the electrics are messy, but thatīs due to too many different currents for my taste. The water stuff and toilets, unfortunatelly also the oversized MUIR horizontal windlass are still the 32V stuff running off a 36V battery group. Thatīs the only electric group with high ampere loads except for the bowthrusters. Iīd like to get rid of that 36V cirquits and rededicate the batteries as a second 12V group.

Thereīs a beautiful multivoltage fridge/freezer combination (230V/12V) with stainess steel inside and external compressor in the genset room below the galley. Illumination is on 12V LED lights, navigation and autopilot is 12V, also the bowthriusters (yes, for whatever reason it got two bowthrusters!).

The engines are 24V with additional really big alternators for 12V and 36V (which asks for a Victron Quattro to reduce genset use while under way) and then there is there is the old air condition stuff running on 110V from a converter off the typical european 230V/50Hz electrics that are also delivered by the 17kW ONAN genset.

So too many different voltages and too many battery groups here for my taste. I firmly believe that the electrical system needs a diet and a good cleanup. Also the old converter for 110V 220V with voltage stabilizer needs to go as itīs pretty useless over here. Less complex electrics with neat and clean installation will be my preference. Fortunatelly I am qualified to do that nonsense myself.

I guess many things happen when a boat is with the same owner for a very long time without "social controll" by buyers and surveyors. Owners develope habits to do things in a way that somehow works. This boat has been within the same owner family for 4 decades! And while the senior spent enormous money on modernisations and upgrades (the MAN engines and new shafts/props, excellent "new" galley, perhaps 15 years old now and still like new) the junior (who is certainly no yongster anymore by now) has spent quite some on gadgets while neglecting things like windows or cleaning up the electrical systems. As a result the boat now has 3 autopilot units installed of which 1 is not working. I do believe in redundancy, but having 2 autopilot pumps installed parallel in the hydraulics is asking for unccesary leaks. The boat has a FLIR cam, but no holding tanks so far. That much about gadgets...

However, other than a few things Iīd call chaotic it is in overall good condition.So, as you see, plenty of "minor" projects to take care of.

When I get deeper into that stuff I might have one or two typical US Galley Maid components I can live without. (might become for sale here)

My intention is to use the boat in the mediterranean (and have it licensed for charter business after I got all important things cleaned up) as it would be a shame to use such a fine sea boat just on inland waterways.
    Last edited by Bernd1972; 12-05-2020 at 05:45 AM.

Allright, bought that beast. All unknown (but suspected) negative aspect with the boat during the sea trial were a dead radar antenna (3 years old Raymarine) and a blown aftercooler which the old owner took care of.
    Other than that the boat was really nice, not to say impressive during the seatrial. We did 21kts with the engine rated at 480hp and quite huge stabilizers (continous heavy duty rating for the eingines),might be tempted to adjust the injection timing a little and open them up to M3 rating to get 540hp out of them. The full 680 hp would be completely nonsense as the economic sweet spot of the engines would go up in the rpm range to about 1600 and the sweet spot would become considerably narrower from what I read in the graphs.
    The 58 Yf is allready a beast at 21 kts!
    Anotheraspect I had to find out is that my girlfriend considered the boat somewhat noisy. Allright, the engines barking at idle sounded like angry Rottweil dogs. I have to agree to that, but i really liked that sound. Is that some kind of macho thing?
    The boat currently is, and will be in the adriatic sea/mediterranean and I intend to make it a part time business for charter in Croatia. Beautiful coasts and good food. And itīs within reasonable driving range for me if i have to go down to the boat for a few weeks to do some work.
    Just to bring the boat closer to my fantasy of it step by step. Exactly my kind of holiday...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd1972 View Post
    Is that some kind of macho thing?
    Who cares? I should and I do..... somewhat.

We are probably the last generation that gets to burn fossil fuel in noisy engines with reckless abandon and I am enjoying every minute of it........

(Not meant to start a political discussion...........)
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Welcome Bernd, you picked a favorite boat of mine and found the right resource for Hatteras details, congratulations. We would love to see some pictures, and everyone here probably turns over the helm to the missus while underway long enough to stand in the cockpit and soak up the roar.

Perfectly normal.
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Cool Re: Been lurking a while here, now made an offer on an old Hatt

Boat is paid and Iīll be down at the boat next week so I guess i can dare to show a few first pics.

Helm station is pretty chaotic, 3 functional outopilot units of which two will blow the fuse when made to work since there are 2 electric helm pumps for them and the one used by both older units seems to be stuck, blocked or removed/blocked from the active steering pipes by shutoff valves. Iīll have to investigate...
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd1972 View Post
    Boat is paid and Iīll be down at the boat next week so I guess i can dare to show a few first pics.

Helm station is pretty chaotic, 3 functional outopilot units of which two will blow the fuse when made to work since there are 2 electric helm pumps for them and the one used by both older units seems to be stuck, blocked or removed/blocked from the active steering pipes by shutoff valves. Iīll have to investigate...
    Congratulations - it's such a classic beauty. You did well. I'd love to bounce around the Med on just that kind of boat one day!

The autopilot situation sounds entirely typical. Previous owners added things instead of replacing them. They thought they were being redundant, but instead made everything unreliable.
    You know what to do: take your time, do one project at a time and do it correctly. Rip-out all the clutter and replace it with one top-of-the-line machine.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

No Detroits, sorry...
    Attached Images

Looks very nice.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Smile Re: Been lurking a while here, now made an offer on an old Hatt

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Congratulations - it's such a classic beauty. You did well. I'd love to bounce around the Med on just that kind of boat one day!

The autopilot situation sounds entirely typical. Previous owners added things instead of replacing them. They thought they were being redundant, but instead made everything unreliable.
    You know what to do: take your time, do one project at a time and do it correctly. Rip-out all the clutter and replace it with one top-of-the-line machine.
    Thank you. Concerning the autopilot units: Well, they were all top of the line at their time except for that Raymarine thing which is the most recent unit. Both the Sharp Marine and the Furuno Autopilot are standard units for small commercial vessels while Raymarine is boatyboaty. However, I believe the Raymarine unit is the one supposed to stay. Will redesign the whole helm station though, I guess itīs adequate when the instrument panel has to be cleaned up and stripped of obsolete stuff anyway.

But Iīll begin the project with a full paintjob in Oyster White (Epifanes 2K, custom mixed color to match the original color specifications)

Next is a door in the transom, new radar arch (the old one looks just a little small and I like something with a more massive appearance. Then Iīll do a new swim platform and clean up electrics and electronics. After that itīll be furnitures in the salon and upgrades, all step by step.

Whoa! Will I have time to cruise on that boat with all these projects?

Looks really nice.

Do you have any performance numbers with those engines? I would like to know how fast that boat runs and what size props and shafts you have.

Thank you.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI