Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 8V-92TA Covington conversions

Good luck with the new ride.
    Some have installed an additional exhaust outlet thru the transom to relieve some of the back pressure, and noise, the side exhaust creates when underwater.
    Friend did it to a mid 80's 6v92 45 footer, it was like riding on a different boat after the modification, also ended all of his turbo issues.
    Can't remember what size but I'm thinking maybe half the exhaust size. In your case it would probably be 5" if the exhaust is 10".
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Both of our boats get salt spray. Station wagon effect. The 46 more so. I have a back to my enclosure so even with the ladder opening no salt on the bridge.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by jap201 View Post
    Congrats, that's a beautiful boat.
    Thank you...she really is in excellent condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmoore View Post
    Looking at a 1988 48ft Hatteras Convertible tomorrow with 8V-92TA engines of which owner states are Covington Conversions. Does anyone know what this "conversion" entailed? Thanks in advance! Dave
    I'm starting to go through all the manuals for my '84 52C (have every original manual, blueprint, receipt) and see I have the Covington manual.

The only surprising thing I found is the HP. The 8v92s are rated for 695hp gross and 675hp net at 2300 RPM. Everything I've seen elsewhere had them as 650s.
    If you think you might want something from the manual, just let me know. However, I'm sure many small details were changed in 4 years difference.

Wow, it came with a whole 12 months warranty!

My 650's have twin turbo's. Neighbors 48 has 735's that run 1 larger turbo. I would get a knowledgeable DD guy to verify all. I read boatdiesel posts all the time just to learn and many times it is found an engine has the wrong injectors or other parts on them.

The boat is yours now so establish a new baseline.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    My 650's have twin turbo's. Neighbors 48 has 735's that run 1 larger turbo. I would get a knowledgeable DD guy to verify all. I read boatdiesel posts all the time just to learn and many times it is found an engine has the wrong injectors or other parts on them.

The boat is yours now so establish a new baseline.
    That's a great point. The guy I just bought from put all new turbos on. Now, the boat is a bit sluggish. The pattern of what I'm finding would indicate a good chance the turbos aren't right.

I've got some research to do.

When comparing just the turbo count on top of a Detroit, Other items need to be considered in this thread; How is the air cooled and directed. This was not commented on by the OP and may need to be considered in responding comments.
    Inter-coolers, After-coolers, Bypass-Turbos and more greatly change the HP ratings thru the DDC product lines.
    Turbo count and placements were mostly ordered from DDC in this config. Low profile or tall and shallow. Extra boost and spec'd injectors.
    If you look at J&T, S&S, Convington, DDC and others, the HP numbers overlap on several models.

The serial number and a call to a real Detroit shop can get you the factory config.

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    That's a great point. The guy I just bought from put all new turbos on. Now, the boat is a bit sluggish. The pattern of what I'm finding would indicate a good chance the turbos aren't right.
    I've got some research to do.

There are cast part numbers and attached tags with more part numbers.
    So many parts are interchangeable when putting these assemblies together.

This is why it is so important to use the original tag model, part number and serial number when ordering from a real Detroit shop.
    Ordering parts like this from unknown sources usually cost more when it's back together running correctly than ordering it correctly the first time. The next closest thing is delivered.

All new turbos cost money and everybody wants a deal, it is common nature. It back fires sometimes.

I usually order just the chunk when servicing turbos.
    Next I have what I have, rebuilt by a local shop I know & trust.

You may just have 1 of 4 turbos not compressing enough air enough to reduce ships performance. Guessing witch one may take some time.