Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Thinking about adding a bow thruster

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    When a bow thruster really comes in handy is on the (hopefully) rare occasion when you have to maneuver on one engine.
    Interesting and very valid point. Never thought of it but as a former aviator having extra directional control after losing one, or a precautionary shutdown, is a very nice thing to have. Anything to keep Towboat US from ripping off my insurance company with a bogus salvage claim.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

15,500 for a thruster installed sounds like a great deal. I priced a thruster for a 65 two years ago from Florida Bow Thruster that came in at 50,000 installed. If I had all of the other main things fixed then I would look into a thruster at that price.

Walt Hoover

Did an 8 day trip on one DD. Bow thruster made it possible. I have Freebird’s SEYBTHRR (Single engine yacht with a bow thruster restriction) in my log book to prove it. Not encouraging departures with a single engine boat (they frown on that in my business) but s... happens.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Not encouraging departures with a single engine boat (they frown on that in my business) but s... happens.
    One time we had extra time in a sim...... 24L @ LAX, 767-400 @ 330,000 pounds. Right side inop. (Yes, "left" and "right", not "1" and "2") Fed in throttle until the pedal bottomed out. (About 75%N1) As speed and rudder authority built kept it on centerline by increasing throttle. At firewall started taking out rudder. At the end of the runway rotated, just below V1. Hopped over the dunes, settled in ground effect over the Pacific and accelerated out of it. It can be done.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

If the simulator says you can do it, does that mean the plane will act in the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    If the simulator says you can do it, does that mean the plane will act in the same way?
    I'll be in the airport lounge waiting and watching while you test that out.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I agree with Sky, 1984 53ED #738 had her for 16 years and do fine without a thruster.

Sorry Jim I didn’t see your question. According to the aircraft manufacturer there should be no difference between the two. In theory. Fingers crossed I don’t get to test the theory out.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Fingers crossed indeed. I’ll wait here for you.