Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Thinking about adding a bow thruster

We had the maths done for our boat and believe it was 45-60 litres or 10-15 US gallons per minute for a hydraulic system. If I am correct you needed 40hp to do this. This would be a very big pump on the PTO at idle. Or separate motor/pump in the genset room. Or a big electric motor running off the genset. I cant remember the amps used, but it was large.

We went back to a 48 volt and biggest Vetus thruster. Dedicated lithium batteries should be able to supply the current draw.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

I ve had good experience with Sidepower (electric). Supported by Imtra which has the best customer service in the industry

Both boats I have run over the last 15 years had Sidepower. Only significant issue was a gearbox failure (10 year old thruster) Intra has it in stock (upgraded design) and wasn’t too expensive. Considering.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Installing a bow thruster would pretty much eliminate my wine cellar under the bow compartment--Oh, the horror!
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

And reasonable access to my head pumps!

IMG_6231.jpg
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    And reasonable access to my head pumps!

Attachment 44646
    Eliminating the wine cellar may prevent this.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I’m more of a vodka man and can wiggle my skinny a** into that bow spot where my macerater and overboard valves are. Sound like a battery powered thruster might be better.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

I've had good experiences with East Coast Bow Thrusters out of NY. They use Vetus thrusters. for a 48' to 60' boat they spec a Vetus Bow 160 which (for the latest list I have) is $15,500 installed. They will come to your location.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

The newer transmissions have optional PTO drives on them that can run a hydraulic pump. On the old Detroits you have many accessory ports on the back of the engine to run a hydraulic pump. I see no reason to go electric when hydraulic is that easy to set up.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    The newer transmissions have optional PTO drives on them that can run a hydraulic pump. On the old Detroits you have many accessory ports on the back of the engine to run a hydraulic pump. I see no reason to go electric when hydraulic is that easy to set up.
    When a bow thruster really comes in handy is on the (hopefully) rare occasion when you have to maneuver on one engine.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I have a 24V Vetus 220. The manual says it can be run continuously for 7 minutes, but I have not tested it to that time limit.

https://www.vetus.com/en/manoeuvring...er-220kgf.html

I find mine very helpful in docking in 15+ knot winds, especially when I have to back down a long fairway or in close quarters. One other time I find it very useful is when strong current. My marina is on the Mystic River and the current can run as high as 1-2 knots. With the large keel on the 58 LRC, manuvering in strong current can be a challenge in particular when combined with 15-20+ knot winds in same direction when it is abeam.

Vetus Bow Thruster.jpg

Vetus Bow Thruster 002.jpg
    Last edited by JD5652; 11-03-2020 at 05:45 PM.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL