Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thinking about adding a bow thruster

I’m thinking about adding a bow thruster but not sure if the costs etc would make it worthwhile.
    there are elect and hydraulic units and quite a few manufacturers all have pros and cons to each.
    I like the hydraulic units without needing more batteries etc etc but the battery units have been around for a while. I did read thru the posts here looking for some insight. These boats do handle very well on open water but are subject to winds blowing the bow off course when in tight quarters.
    I was leaving my slip I’m backed into and the wind had me pinned to the finger pier on port and I need to go stbd to leave and had to let the wind take the bow to port and back out to fairway which wasn’t an issue but I did say if I had a thruster that would have been much easier. I was gonna try to use a spring but I was alone and leaving the helm didn’t seem like a good idea. I’m sure I could have spun the boat once out of my slip but I had already mentally planned to back out to fairway then spin it. Again I said to myself I wish I had a bow thruster.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Re: Thinking about adding a bow thruster

Downside of electric is that they can only run so long before getting hot and shutting down. Adding a couple of batteries and a charger is not a big deal. Hydraulic is great but you need to add a PTO on a gen or main and run hoses, etc.

Whatever you do, make sure the thruster is big enough. On many boats, the thruster will become useless over 20/25kts winds, when you really need it.

Sometimes it s better to use the wind instead of fighting it. In your example you did the right thing but letting the wind help turn the boat and back out of the fairway. And our Hatteras have something pretty good rubrails that will handle running on a piling without worries.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

While I wouldn't have turned down a nice boat because it didn't have one, I'm glad mine does. The covered slip I just vacated was 18' which is one thing, the new one is only 17' and while there's plenty of rubber to run the rub rail over I prefer not to and a tap on the thruster makes things a LOT easier. You can make the boat go sideways with little effort. Haven't tried it in heavy winds yet, but in lighter air (15kts) it's pretty darn effective so I think it will do just fine.

Oh, electric.....24V. So far so good.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Another option possibly to look at is using AC motor powered from generator.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

I have run my boat for 17 years without a thruster. I can't see spending the money to add one for the few times I might use it. I say run the boat some more and get used to the way it handles. You'll find it isn't really necessary. The bows on these boats pretty much stay where you put them.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have one but it was on the boat when I bought it. I use mine very little and if I didn’t have one I would not miss it. But then again I’m an old school captain. These new boats that berth/park themselves takes to much away from the challenge of being a boater.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I’m a fair weather boater so any wind close to 15kts is too much.

Not to derail, but find the bow of my 43dc stays where I put it much more so when I come in forward verses backing in with regards to wind. I wouldn’t mind having one for that last 10’ when backing in.
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

The classic hatteras hull shape with a sharp entry and a keel really helps reduce the effect of cross winds when maneuvering unlike boats with flatter bottoms. Weight also helps.

Once the stern is between the pilings the bow really has nowhere to go but follow the rest of the boat in
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I haven’t had a problem backing in with wind, my slip entry is pretty much open and can spin easily with about a 10ft cushion.
    What’s a good dependable make and what would be the recommended HP. I would prefer if going hydraulic having pto on a main vs gen.